Chapter 10: Time Goes By

"So, how'd that go?" Janner asked his brother as he and Maraly stepped out of Nia's room.

Kal grimaced. "Horrible."

Sara and Janner laughed. 

"It's not as funny as you think." Maraly said. "She grounded us for 2 weeks! She doesn't even have the authority to ground me!"

Janner smirked. "She kinda does, being the QUEEN of ANNIERA. You," He pointed at her, "Are in Anniera."

"It's not fair." Kal pouted.

"Well, I shall remain neutral on this matter." Leeli said to herself.

"Smart." Sara said.

"Well, I'll be in my room." Kal dragged his feet all the way to his huge room.

Maraly rolled her eyes. "Well, I'll be in mine, living out the rest of my days in Anniera, in pure torture."

"Drama King."

"Drama Queen." Janner and Sara said in unison.

Leeli laughed at that.

///////////////

Days became weeks. Weeks turned into months, and to years, and before he knew it, Janner had turned 18. It felt as if all the time during his teenage years had flown by. His birthday had come recently, and Sara's was coming up in a week. Janner had specially planned her birthday gift, by asking for her hand in marriage. He was going to ask her on her birthday night, during which Nia was planning to hold a birthday party, to Sara's dismay. Sara had stated that just having all of the family (specifically Janner) there with her would be enough, but Nia had happily ignored her request. It was a joyous time, especially since the Annieran people were celebrating. Since Janner had sacrificed himself for the people right after his birthday, every year the Annierans would gather and hold a large feast, where they would thank the Maker for the Throne Warden. The people would hold the feast beginning Janner's birthday, and would end it the day that he returned home from the Well. 

Even now, as Janner ran down the halls of Castle Rysen, searching for his brother, the nervousness of Sara's birthday party began to creep up on him.

He ran into the family room, to find his brother, sitting with Sara, of all people.

"Kal, can I talk to you real quick?" Janner asked, trying to be away from Sara's presence.

"No." Kal snickered. Even though he was almost 17, Kal hadn't changed a bit, being his jokingly self all the time.

Sara raised her eyebrow at Janner's obvious nervousness. He pretended he didn't notice her confused expression.

"So, what's up?" Kal asked once they were safely away from Sara's hearing distance.

Janner exhaled a large breath he had been holding. "I'm nervous."

"About what?"

"About Sara's party."

"Why? You scared she's gonna ask you to dance? I've seen how many boys are after her. You'd do better to just dance with her."

Janner rolled his eyes. "No, not that. It's about after  the party. I'm going to ask her something."

"Go on. What're you gonna ask her?"

"To marry me." Janner practically whispered.

"REALLY?!" Kal jumped up.

"Shh! Keep it down, I don't want anyone to know!" 

"Okay, okay, but seriously! You're gonna go through with this?"

Janer sighed, a slight smile creeping up. "Yes, but you can't tell anybody."

"Understood." Kal jokingly saluted his brother.

Janner rolled his eyes again. "Good."

"But why'd you tell me?"

"Because I would probably burst with nervousness if I didn't tell someone. Leeli could probably mention it without noticing. Ma would burst with excitement, and tell someone. Uncle Artham would keep making hints about it when Sara's around. Aunt Arundelle would be pretty quiet about it, but I figured you should know first."

"Awww, thanks!" Kal attempted a hug.

Janner shoved him off. "Not right now, I'm too nervous."

"Fiiiiiine." Kal jokingly pouted.

"But, I need help."

"Yes?" Kal looked at his brother.

"I need you to pleeeeeaaase, and I mean PLEEASE, don't ruin it!"

"Ruin it? How would I, your amazing and favorite brother, ruin it?"

"First, you're my ONLY brother, and second, because any time me and Sara try to have some time together, you ALWAYS try to tag along, or tease us."

"Alriiiight. Fine, I promise, I wont follow you or ruin it or tease you two about being in love or ruin it."

Janner sighed a relieved sigh. "Good, thanks."