Chapter 26

"Janner?"

"Yeah?"

"How far do you think we've walked?"

Janner shrugged. "I really have no idea. It feels like we've walked for hours, so that must mean that we're close. I think I can see the edge of the forest."

Sara nodded her head. "Alright."

Janner walked a little in front of her. Mainly so he could see any oncoming danger, but also because he didn't want her to see him wincing from the pain from the wounds on his back.

"Did you hear that?"

Janner turned to look at Sara. "Hear what?"

Sara looked around. "I could have sworn that I heard a twig snap."

Janner suddenly felt like he was being watched. "Hmm, that's weird. We should probably kep a good eye out."

Sara nodded her head, then kept walking.

After a few moments, she spoke again. "You're alright, right?"

Janner turned around and looked at her. "Yeah, why do you ask?"

"Because those wounds on your back looked bad. Also, you've been showing signs of being in pain."

Janner didn't know how to answer her. "Well, I feel fine. You don't have to worry about me. Let's hurry. We're almost home."

Sara smiled then nodded her head. She reached over and took his hand. "If you need to stop at all, just say the word."

Janner kissed her forehead. "I will. But don't worry about me, I'm fine."

She sighed, then nodded her head.

They walked for another 15 minutes before they finally came to the edge of the forest. Janner was surprised to learn that his horse was still there, tied up to the tree. He let Sara ride the horse while he walked beside it.

After walking for another hour or so, the Castle Rysen was finally in sight. The couple felt extreme joy seeing it finally. 

.............

A lone castle guard ran through the halls, desperately searching for the royal family. He found them in the family room.

"Your majesty!" The guard bowed to Kalmar.

Kal nodded his head. "What is it?" 

"The Throne Warden has been found! Along with Miss Cobbler!" The guard panted.

The room erupted with cheers, then questions.

Artham calmed everyone down. He turned to the guard. "Where are they?"

"The Throne Warden had to be taken straight to the nurses chamber, for he had extreme wounds. Miss Cobbler is with him."

"Well, let's go!" Kal said urgently.

Artham nodded his head, then the entire family made their way to the nurses chamber.

........

"Will he be alright?" Nia asked the head nurse once the entire family had arrived.

The head nurse nodded her head. "The Throne Warden had some pretty bad injuries. But, we've got him under some pain medicines, and have given him some medicine to put him to sleep."

Nia sighed. "So, where is Sara?"

"By the Throne Warden's bed. She hasn't left him since we took him back there. You may go back if you would like." The head nurse said.

Nia looked at the rest of the family. "I will go. If anyone else wishes to go, they may."

Everyone stood up.

Nia laughed in spite of the situation. "Alright, well, let's go."

And so the family followed the head nurse to Janner's room.

.........

When they arrived, they were shocked to see Janner's wounds. The nurses had put snow on his back, to numb the pain from the whip marks.

"What-" 

Kalmar was cut off by a palace guard rushing into the room.

"Your majesty! I have news on the Fangs!" He said, bowing.

Kal nodded his head. "What news?"

"The Fangs are leaving!"

Everyone, even the nurses, gasped. 

Janner stirred in his sleep.

Kal spoke again. "Leaving? When? Why? How?"

The guard chuckled. "They are leaving at this very moment. They had some of their fleet pick them up."

Kal laughed. "They're leaving!"

Everyone hugged and laughed. The noise woke Janner up.

"Janner, you wont believe it!" Kal said excitedly.

"Wow, no 'You're safe!' from you? I see how it is." Janner chuckled.

Kal turned red. "You're safe!" He said.

Janner rolled his eyes, then tried to sit up. "So, what happened?"

"The Fangs are leaving." Sara said calmly.

Janner's jaw dropped. "Really?"

Leeli grinned. "Really! A guard just came and told us that they're leaving as we're speaking!"

"And, the Hollish fleet will be awaiting them." Artham laughed.

Janner smiled. "Finally. Rest."

Everyone except Leeli was confused as to what he meant.

Janner and Leeli shared a look. "Rest." They said at the same time.

But it was true. 

They finally would have rest.