Chapter 29

"So, how've you been?" Galya asked as she and Sara started to walk around the town. "I heard that you and Janner got engaged. Congrats!"

Sara smiled and slightly blushed. "Thanks!"

Galya studied her for a second. "That's not the reason you're here though..."

Sara nodded her head. "You know Kal......cares for you a lot, right?"

Now Galya blushed. "Um...yeah. And I care for him too."

Sara nodded her head. "Do you maybe...like him?"

Galya scoffed, but went a little overboard. "Like him? Of course I do! But, not like that!"

Sara wasn't convinced.

Galya sighed and looked down. "Okay maybe....I do. So what? He probably doesn't feel the same way."

Sara grinned. "You wanna bet?"

Galya looked up. "What do you mean?"

"The reason I'm here today is that Kal wanted to know if you felt the same way."

Galya shook her head. "No, you're just joking. He couldn't possibly feel the same way!"

Sara laughed. "Well, he does. Better get used to it."

A smile slowly formed on Galya's lips. "But... how am I supposed to tell him?"

Sara grinned. "Leave that to me."

Galya was about to say something when a voice cut her off.

"Oh! There you are! I've been looking all over for you!"

Galya and Sara turned around to see Nate smiling at them.

"Nate! How long have you been following us?" Galya asked, eyeing her brother with suspicion.

Nate laughed. "I haven't been following you. I've been looking for you! I didn't expect to find Sara with you though." He looked at Sara. "How've you been? It's been a while since we've seen you."

"Aww, it couldn't have been that long."

Sara turned around to find Kalmar grinning at Nate, with Janner reluctantly following.

"Kal! It sure has been a while!" Nate grinned.

Kal grinned back. "Too long, for my taste."

Janner muttered something as he moved next to Sara.

Sara knew how Janner and Nate didn't really like each other, so she tried to save him from the awkwardness.

"Well, we're gonna go get our horses from the stable." She announced, grabbing Janner and pulling him with her.

He looked confused but followed her.

Kal watched them walk off, then shrugged and kept takling to Galya and Nate.

"Ouch, if you wanted me to follow you, you didn't have to pull my arm out of its socket." Janner said, twisting his arm around once they arrived at the stable.

Sara rolled her eyes. "I thought you had a high pain tolerance."

"I do, but for some reason, you always seem to beat it."

Sara laughed as she unstrapped her horse from its picket.

"Here, let me help."

Sara turned around to see Nate walk up to the horse, and saddle it for her, while Kal and Galya walked into the stable.

"Oh-you didn't have to-"

Nate cut her off. "It's my pleasure." He smiled.

Janner silently scowled as he saddled his own horse and helped Sara onto hers.

"Anything else I can help you with?" Nate asked.

Janner silently noted how he seemed to direct the question to Sara.

She shook her head. "No thanks. You've troubled yourself enough."

Nate smiled, but it quickly faded as she rode off with Janner.

Kal noticed what looked like a hint of jealousy in his eyes as he watched them.

"Well, I'd better head back to the castle." Kal said, mounting his horse. "It was nice to see you, Galya. I'll see you around town, Nate."

And with that, he rode off, trying to catch up with Janner and Sara.