Inside The Outsider

Waking up today felt like any other day, even though i'm 17 now, i still felt the same. I got out of bed before momma could come in and say so. I put in The Ronettes: Presenting the Fabulous Ronnettes, one of my favorite records. While i was gettin my outfit i was dancing and singin with the music. After i got ready for school, i was expectin a happy birthday from my family but they continued to do whatever they usual did in the morning.
   When i went outside to meet my friends at Clarice's house the same thing happened; no one said happy birthday or anything, it was weird.

      Despite the weirdness, i went along with what they were doing," Diana did you finish that paper for Mrs. Fletcher?" Lisa questioned," Of course i did, why?" Her jaw dropped," How did you do it? You know all her assignments be hard. You are just too smart girl." She smiled at me and i did the same. When we got to school and went to our lockers, people would stop and tell me Happy birthday, unlike my friends and family. Whether i liked it or not, if felt good to be acknowledged of becoming a year older.

    Most of my classes went by fast today,we only have one class left which was gym. Me and Clarice went to the girls locker room with all the other girls. We sat our stuff on the bench between the lockers, I put in my combination and opened my locker. I grabbed my gray gym shirt and navy gym shorts, then stuffed my book bag into my locker. I took off my shoes and my clothes and placed them in my locker too. I slipped on my shirt and shorts, shoved my feet into my uncomfortable tennis shoes,"You ready Clare?" she nodded her head," Yeah lets go." We both shut out lockers and went back into the gym and sat on the bleachers and waited for everyone else," I wonder what we gonna be doin today. You know Coach Lyons always makin us do somethin crazy." I stated. Clarice glanced at me and grinned," Well it works. It helped get me this nice little shape." She jokingly rubbed her torso sensually and we both laughed.

    As i thought, Coach Lyons worked us out to death; we did circuit workouts the whole time non stop. One girl threw up, and one guy literally passed out. After our last circuit he gave us a break, Clarice dropped to her knees and started crawling like she was dying," Diana, help. I can't go on much longer." She gasped dramatically tryin to catch her breath," Clarice if you don't get up and come on." She slowly lifted herself from the floor and walked with me to the water fountains.

The line was still long when we got to them, fellow students were dyin of thirst like us. One by one the line got smaller, and we finally got our water; dreadin goin back to the torturous workout. Once everyone got a drink of water, we continued the circuits, ten minutes before the bell would ring we stopped the workout and went back to the lockers.

Clarice and I took off our sweaty gym clothes and freshened up, i put my gym clothes into my book bag so i could wash them when i got home. Clarice did the same and we changed back into our regular clothes. After i got all my stuff, i closed my locker and walked to the mirrors to fix my hair," Girl you look fine let's go." Clarice grabbed my arm and dragged me back to the gym and we sat on the bleachers waiting for the bell to dismiss us.

      While we were sittin, Michael Livingston approached us with somethin in his hand," Hey Diana." I looked at him and smiled," Hi Michael." he nervously smiled," I just wanted to give you this," he handed me a rectangular package wrapped with brown paper," You can open it now." I turned to glance at Clarice but she was gone, i looked around the gym and she was no where to be found. I ignored her sudden disappearance and carefully unwrapped the package.

When i came close to seein the object, i smiled widely and glanced at Michael," Is this me?" He grinned and nodded his head," How did you draw this?" he shrugged his shoulders," I know your face like the back of my hand." I got up from the bleachers and embraced him in a hug, he was hesitant to hug me back but he eventually did," I'm glad you like it." I pulled away from him," I love it, Thank you." As i said that the bell rang, i waved goodbye to him and left the school building.