Inside The Outsider

"Diana, breakfast is ready," I rubbed my sleepy eyes as i stretched my arms above my head," Hurry now before it gets cold." I popped the aches in my back and yawned," Yes m'am."
I threw the covers off of me as i risen from my bed. I glanced down at the silver band on my left index finger that Dally gave me for my birthday. I twirled it around my finger, before finally getting out of the bed. I went to the mirror that was attached to my dresser, picked up my brush and brushed through my crazy hair.

I walked out of my room and sat at the table with everyone else,"Well goodmornin' to you too Diana." Daddy greeted as i dug into my breakfast; i chewed my food before i spoke,"Goodmornin'." I didn't speak anymore after that, which was weird for me, I'm usually always talkin' about something, whether it'd be the weather or what's going on in the news,"Diana, I heard James Brown is comin' down here." Momma commented, I glanced at her and nodded,"You gonna save up your money and go?" I shrugged my shoulders,"Maybe." I continued eating my food.

After i finished my breakfast, I went back into my room and laid back down. As i laid there i began to fiddle with my ring. I stared at it intently; Dally means everything to me, no matter how crude or careless he could be, I loved him regardless, I just wondered if he felt the same about me. He's been with me this long, it seems evident, but most people just stay in relationships just for the hell of it . Suddenly my door cracked open,"Diana?" I looked up from my ring and glanced up at momma,"Clarice is here." "Okay."

She went away from the door and I saw her go back to the front door. Clarice cheerfully paced to my room, she opened the door and closed it behind her,"Girl why are you in bed?" "Are you sad that your little boy ain't here?" She smirked at me. I glared at her and shook my head,"No, i just...I don't know...I question us sometimes." Clarice raised her eyebrow,"Why? Cause y'all two different colors?" I shrugged my shoulders,"Diana, stop being insecure, he loves ya, look at ya, who wouldn't love ya, besides those ignorant bastards."

I smiled shyly at her compliment,"Now come on and get ready so we can cause some havoc." I shook my head at her and laughed. Clarice was really one of my closest friends; even though i only known her for a short period of time, i could tell we were gonna be old friends. I had a friend like her back in Alabama, her name was Denise. She was younger than me, but age didn't matter, she was a good friend otherwise. We had so many good times together before she was taken away from me. The hatred from white people killed her and three other girls at the church in our neighborhood; they were killed at a place of worship and peace, after that tragedy, momma and daddy knew we had to get out of Birmingham.

"Diana, you okay?" I blinked my eyes a couple of times and glanced at Clarice,"Yeah, imma go take a quick shower." I picked out an outfit from my closet and went to the bathroom that me and siblings shared. I quickly washed up and slipped on a floral collared dress with black sheer pantyhose underneath. I brushed my teeth and went back into my room to put on my black church heels, I grabbed my big jacket and we exited my room,"Alright momma i'll be back before dinner." "Don't be out there actin' a fool now." "We won't momma, bye" Clarice and I walked out of our neighborhood and out to the city instead.

"Mm, don't i look like Tina Turner." "More like Don King." I laughed to myself as Clarice glared at me. She reached over and smacked my arm,"Well excuse me Ms.Diana.Ross. I don't see you over here...." Before you knew it my mind had wandered out the window and at that moment my eyes had caught a scene i'd never seen before. A group of white guys were fighting across the street; some looked rich as can be and the others looked greasy. I kept staring at the guys, these white guys were fighting their own kind. I could see they had nothing in common, but to go against your own people is ridiculous. As i continued to contemplate, i had figured out that they did have one thing in common, they despised negroes. If i were to walk out there right now, they'd stop fighting and start to give me hell. The only white guys i know that wouldn't hurt me is Dally and Darry.