Inside The Outsider

I stared across the wall in front of me as other students flooded into the classroom. I sat in my usual desk, upfront. From my peripherals I could see other negro students sitting closer up front like me. I could feel the corners of my mouth curl up," You won't be smiling for long—"

I looked up at the green eyed devil," Don't you get tired of being the villain?"

His blonde eyebrows knotted into a frightening scowl," Villain!? The only villains here are you and your nigger friends—"

"For once in ya life DANIEL— can you stop being a racist piece of shit!"

I immediately covered my hands over my mouth. I've never said anything so vulgar like that. Everyone in the class was silent and looking at me and Danny," Miss Robinson. Mister McCord. Outside NOW!"
I shot up from my desk and darted out into the hall. I stood against the wall next to door waiting for the teacher to come out. The door swung open only to reveal Danny," Nice going. It's bad enough I have to sit near you—"

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut.Up! You're all talk no walk."

Abruptly, Danny darted over to me. I could see the muscles in his neck tense up," You shut your mouth. Before I feed you to my dogs."
I put my hands up like I was surrendering," Oh I'm real scared—"

"Yeah you should be. I can easily tell my daddy what's goin' on. He'll have you and ya family hangin' out on them trees."

I quickly shut my mouth as the thought came to mind. Danny scowled over me, close enough for me to feel his hot breath," I know you and that hood are together. My daddy don't take too kindly to negroes and whites mixin'....Even if he is a poor son of a bitch...."
He came down closer to me and put his head beside my ear," I'd watch out if I were you..."

He backed away from me with his arms behind his back. The teacher finally came outside and looked between the both of us," Miss Robinson do you care to explain that outburst in my class."

I glanced over at Danny who had his arms cross his chest and smirking at me," He's racist. He calls me nigger every chance he gets. Before you came out here he threatened me and my family."
Danny's expression quickly changed as his eyebrows furrowed," Mister McCord is this true. You know that's not what this school values." He stood there not saying a word.
The teacher placed a hand on my shoulder," Diana you can go back into the classroom, but no more outburst like that again. Understand?"
I nodded my head," Yes m'am."
I glared over at Danny and followed the teacher's orders.

I went back into the classroom and sat back down in my seat. All the white students were whispering among themselves as they fixated their attention on my me. A few moments later, Danny walked back into the classroom with the teacher right on his tail. He glared at me with those devious eyes as he snatched his stuff up from the desk he sat in front of me. He shuffled his way towards the back of the class and sat down in an empty desk; silent as a mouse. But he was planning something fore sure. No good intentions can come out of that boy.

Lunch finally came around, but the atmosphere wasn't any better. I walked into the cafeteria with Clarice and Lisa by my side. The room was unusually divided. Every negro sat on the right side and all the white students sat on the left. It was suspiciously silent too. Only the munches and crumbles of the food being consumed could be heard," What in god's name is goin' on here?" Clarice whispered into my ear.

I shrugged my shoulders as I scanned the cafeteria once again to make sure we weren't in the twilight zone. Once we got our tray of food, it felt like the first day of school again. It seemed like there were no place for us to sit. Until I saw a hand waving cautiously in our direction. I looked over at the hand to reveal a stale Ponyboy. I nudged Clarice's arm and the group followed me over to where Pony was sitting.

"Hey Diana," he looked over at the rest of the group," Clarice. Lisa." We sat down at the table and I turned my attention to him," Hey Pony. Do you know what's goin' on?"
He shook his head as he munched down on his food.

Something strange was goin' on around this school. The tension was too thick to be any old thing. We all confided to the heavy divide in the room and ate our lunch in silence.