Inside The Outsider

I sat beside Clarice at the lunch table that we usually occupied. Clarice scooted closer to me and whispered into my ear,"We're goin to town today and we gonna give ya boy a little talkin to." I pulled away from her and furrowed my eyebrow," Clarice no." "Yes we are, I don't care if you come with me or not." "You don't even know what he looks like-" "It don't matter, i'll find him." I rolled my eyes and continued eating my lunch.

    As school was gettin closer and closer to ending, i began to worry. I didn't want to see Dally, it was bad enough that i broke it off with him, seein him would make me feel even more bad.
       I glanced at the ticking clock and as i expected the bell rang. I packed all my stuff in my satchel and waited outside for Clarice. Lisa and Cheryl came up to me," You waitin for Clarice?" Lisa questioned. I nodded my head,"Y'all goin to town today?" "Yeah, i don't want to go but she's forcin me." "Well try to have fun. Me and Lisa have a project to do and it's due tomorrow." I shook my head and smiled," Well dont let me keep y'all waitin, i'll see ya tomorrow." They waved goodbye and got on the bus.

    I looked down at my watch and Clarice finally came out the school. She scurried towards me and grabbed ahold of my arm,"Sorry, Ms. Wallace was talkin my ear off about that stupid essay." "So what she say?"  "I don't know and i dont care. Lets go." She dragged me beside her and we walked to the white part of town.

      The whole time we were walkin, i couldnt help but become anxious; I haven't seen Dally in a week and i didnt want to see him now," Diana are you listenin to me?" I turned to Clarice and shook my head," Sorry, i just dont want to see him." "Diana you don't have to worry, i'll be the one to set him straight."

   As we entered town, everyone's eyes were on us. We always come here, people should be use to us now. We walked along the side walk like it was normal for us. While Clarice was searchin like crazy, i looked up from the ground and regretted my actions. I saw him standin with those familiar two boys, the tan skinned one and the young blonde one with blue eyes.

   I didnt notice that i stopped until Clarice called my name,"Girl what ya stoppin for-" Her eyes followed to what i was lookin at and turned to me,"Thats him aint it?" I swallowed the lump in my throat and stayed silent," It's show time-" She was about to storm over there until i grabbed her," Clarice please dont." "He's gonna get what he deserves." "He didn't do nothin." "Exactly." She ripped her arm from my grip and stormed across the street not payin anyone any attention.

                   *Dally's Point of View*

   "Hey you!?" I turned my head towards the person in front of us. Surprisingly, it was a colored girl who looked about my age. She was glarin at all of us especially me," Are you Dallas Winston?" She questioned with so much aggression that it transferred over to me,"Who's askin?" "It don't matter who's askin'. You hurt my friend and i'm not okay with that." "What friend?" The girl rolled her eyes," Don't play dumb Dallas. I aint the only colored girl you've talked to." I knew Diana was behind this as soon as i seen this girl. I just wanted to know what Diana was tellin her about me,"Where is she?" She shrugged her shoulders and glared at me," Why you so worried about her now?" I huffed and pulled back my hair,"Is Diana behind this, is that why you're gettin wise with me right now?" "No she isnt. Actually she didnt want me to do this in the first place."
  I glared at her for a quick second until i caught a glimpse of Diana. Her hair was straightened but she looked beautiful as always. She had her head down like the first time i saw her,"If youre thinkin about gettin back with her, you can just erase that idea outtya head right now." I looked away from Diana and back at her friend," Diana isnt a normal girl and she aint one of them rich white girls neither. She's colored and she comes with colored problems that only a real man can handle." My jaw was clenched tight as i balled up my fist," You should have stuck up for her when she needed ya. There aren't too many respectable girls out here and she's the only good girl you'll ever get." She poked her finger at my chest before shoving me back.

  Before i could react she had stormed back across the street and over to Diana. I glanced at at her as she took a quick glimpse of me. I shoved my hands into my pockets as i watched her leave with her crazy friend,"You good Dal?" Pony questioned, i nonchalantly glared at the both of them,"Lets get outta here."

                    *Diana's Point of View*

     I glanced up from my hands and saw Clarice stormin my way," D, lets go-" "What did you say to him Clarice?" "What he needed to hear." She grabbed my hand and pulled me with her as we exited around the corner. Before we could completely disappear, i looked back at Dally and he was already gazing at me. Clarice pulled me with her and we continued walking down the sidewalk," What did he say to you?" Clarice glanced at me and sighed," He thought you had something to do with me going up to him." I nodded my head lightly and stayed quiet," You didn't want to break up with him, did ya?" I took a deep breath; the whole memory of that event corrupted my mind," No, I didn't, but it had to be done." "Well you had your fun, now its time to come back to reality." I glanced over at Clarice for a second and back down at my feet"What's the reality?" "That they will never like us. They never had and never will, and we experienced it for ourselves." I nodded my head once again, trying so hard to think the opposite of her statement, but so far its been true.

                      *Dally's Point Of View*

      I stared ahead of me while i nibbled on the cigarette i had hangin in my mouth," You should apologize to her Dal." I heard Pony blab at the mouth," No way man." "He's right." Johnny budded in. I stopped where we were walking and turned to them," There's plenty of broads out there man, i don't need her," I continued to walk on," Too much trouble anyway." Everything i said was the opposite of what i was feelin; it's barely been a week and i already miss the broad. I fucked up big time, she'll probably never want me back and move on to someone else. I finally flicked a match and lit the cigarette that was in my mouth. Back to the old Dally way I guess.