Inside The Outsider

*Normal Point of View*

"Diana...You alright?" I shook away the thoughts that were in my head and faced the voice,"Huh?" Michael gave me a worried look and held onto my forearm,"Are you okay?" "Yeah, i was just lost in the music." Suddenly, Clarice waltzed over to us and had a big grin spread across her face,"What y'all doin over here?" I glanced at her and she immediately turned to Michael. He smiled and put his head down.

   As Clarice was lookin at him, i pulled her closer to me and whispered in her ear,"We need to go." She rapidly turned her head and glared at me," We just got here Diana!" I sighed and rolled my eyes," I know, but I wanna go." "What happened, did he hurt you?" She was about to retaliate on Michael, but I quickly grabbed her,"No! He didn't do anything, I just want to go home. You can come back without me." Clarice nodded her head. I waved at Michael and told him bye, doing the same with Lisa and Cheryl.

     We exited from the building and walked along the sidewalk,"Why you wanna leave so early?" I rolled my eyes,"Because I wasn't comfortable." She glanced at me, examining my every move,"You're lyin to me Diana Robinson." I didnt pay attention to her comment,"Diana it's okay if you miss that Dallas boy." I shook my head trying to fight back my emotions," He probably moved on already." "I doubt that. Who can move on from the beautiful, intelligent, courageous Diana Robinson?"

  I grinned at her compliments, and turned my attention towards her,"I guarantee he'll come crawlin back to ya." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion,"And you want him to?" She smiled to herself and glanced at me," If it'll make you happy again." We both shared glances and i nodded my head. Everyone but me knows I want him back, i just hope he feels the same; you never know with him.

"You know, we never went back to that diner." Clarice commented as we walked down the sidewalk,"Why would we?" Clarice shrugged her shoulders,"Well the food was good." I glanced at her in disbelief," Clarice?" She smiled mischievously,"I'm only foolin around." We were about to turn around the corner until Clarice stopped me,"Why are we stoppin?" She pointed towards a little group of white boys. I focused on them and noticed that young boy that was at Darry's house.

"What are you doing around here greaser!?" One of the guys yelled at him. He didn't answer, just stared at the ground; suddenly one of them shoved him, causing him to hit the brick building hard. I don't know what started the mess but, I'm not gonna stand around and let him get hurt. I would want someone to do the same for me. I was about to walk over there until Clarice grabbed me again,"What are you doing?" "I'm going to help him." She scrunched up her face,"Are you crazy, they're gonna try and beat you up too." "Clarice, we have to help him, you'd want someone to help you if you were getting harrassed." She rolled her eyes and sighed,"Okay."

We walked around the corner and towards the group of guys,"Hey! Leave him alone!" The guys turned away from the boy and to us instead," What do you niggers want?" I glared into the scrawny guy's eyes. He pulled up his sleeves of his expensive looking shirt and crossed his arms,"Leave him alone." Clarice stood beside me in the same position as the guy,"What you gonna do if we don't? Call the cops? That's not gonna do you any good." He had a point, they wouldn't care about our well being.

   I continued to glare at him as he chuckled to himself. Out of instinct, i slapped his face with all the force i had. If i would've slapped him any harder his neck would've broke. He was about to strike back until an older man came out of the building we were all standing by. He had a gun in his hand and an irritable expression on his face,"I'm bout tired of you kids makin all this ruckus out here! Now leave before i fire at your asses!" The guys glared at us and ran off. Clarice and I ran back from where we came from.

We stopped by a tree and caught our breaths, but paused when we heard another person breathing too. We turned towards the person and it was none other than that boy,"Why you followin us?" Clarice questioned. He looked at her then at me with his soft blue eyes,"Thank you for helpin me." "No problem." Clarice and I were about to walk away until the boy spoke up,"Wait." He walked up to me,"Why did you come to my house that day?" "That was your house?" He nodded his head,"Yeah." "Is Darry your brother?" "He nodded his head once again,"i never caught ya name." He put his hands in his pockets,"It's Ponyboy." "Ponyboy? What kind of name is that?" Clarice budded in rudely.

  I glanced at her and back at Ponyboy,"I'm pretty sure you already know my name,"He nodded his head,"This is my friend Clarice." He smiled at her and looked back at me,"How do you know Darry?" I paused,"He helped me when i got jumped. He told me I could come over to your house if I needed anything." He was about to speak until the tan boy with the long black hair came up beside him,"Hey Pony." The boy looked at me and Clarice awkwardly, he stared at me and finally spoke,"Sorry about you and Dal." I shook my head and smiled sadly,"It's okay." "Dally really misses ya." I nodded my head and glanced at them," Well, i guess we'll see you later Ponyboy and-" "Johnny." I smiled as Clarice and I walked away from them and back to our destination.

"You gonna try and get 'em back?" Clarice questioned. I glanced at her and back at the dress i was examinin'," I might, but it probably won't work." "Why not?" I rolled my eyes," Dally is as stubborn as a mule." "Didn't you hear his friends? He misses you girl." "That's what they think, i know for a fact he didn't say it out loud." "Actions speak louder than words, you should know that Diana Robinson." I shook my head and continued shufflin' through the dress rack. She was right, but at the same time, i know Dally. She doesn't know how he is, how guarded he can be with his feelings. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself.