Inside The Outsider

*Clarice portrayed by Nicole Beharie*

"Diana we are going out tonight and there ain't no buts about it." "I'm not ready Clarice." "Yes you are, i gave you a month to grieve you're relationship, it's time to go out and have some fun like we use to." I placed my head in my hand and rubbed it softly, trying to smooth the nerves away,"Okay. Okay i'll go." Out of nowhere Clarice jumped up and wrapped her arms around me," Yaaay! Now hurry up so we can have some fun." I rolled my eyes and grabbed a dress from my closet. I slipped it on as Clarice went to the bathroom to fix her hair and makeup.

"You ready to go?" I slyly glanced at her and sighed," Yeah." She grabbed ahold of my hand and dragged the both of us out of my house and down the sidewalk. As she dragged me along, i kept stumbling over my feet since the heels i was wearing were to tall from what i was use to,"Diana, I hope you're not gonna dance like this." I snatched my hand from her and stopped where I was,"I ain't use to these shoes Clarice, now slow down." Clarice threw up her hands in surrender,"Sorry, i just want to hurry up and get there." "Why you such in a rush?" She grinned mischievously and grabbed ahold of my arm again," You'll see."

"Clarice where are we going?" I questioned as she continued to drag me along side of her,"We're almost there, now shut up." I rolled my eyes,"If you're takin me to meet some guy, then I'm turnin around now." Clarice halted and looked at me,"He's not some guy, trust me you know him." I opened my mouth to speak, but Clarice interrupted me,"And no, it's not that white boy of yours." "Clarice, I don't want to be in another relationship." "Girl, i'm not trying to hook you up with somebody. I just want you to get your mind off Dallas, and have some fun with your best friend. Okay?" I sighed and nodded my head,"Alright." We walked a little more until we finally came to a stop in front of the familiar brick building,"See, that walk wasn't so bad, we're here now." Clarice opened the door and she waltzed in with me trailing behind her.

    As I expected, a party was goin on and everybody we knew from school was here. Everybody greeted us as we walked by tryin to squeeze through people who were goin crazy doin the monkey,"Look, I see Lisa and Cheryl." Clarice grabbed my hand and pulled me with her towards them,"Look who decided to show her face," Lisa said to Cheryl,"We were startin to think you got tired of partyin with us." "She was just takin a break from you crazy buffoons." Lisa hit Clarice on the arm,"We aren't buffoons." Clarice shrugged her shoulders,"I couldn't tell a difference." Lisa was about to say something but at that point I had zoned out and let the music fill my ears.
    Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder,"Diana, Diana." My eyes grew wide and my heart skipped a beat. Why would Dally be here? Clarice said he wouldn't be. I began to panic until I grew some courage and turned around. I had my eyebrows furrowed thinkin it was Dally, but only to be Michael instead. I was relieved but a bit disappointed as well," Oh hey Michael." "I haven't seen you here in along time." "I know, I had to focus on my school work." He smiled at me from ear to ear,"Well I'm glad you're here." I slightly grinned, thinkin back to when he gave me the portrait of myself for my birthday,"You know I still have that picture you gave me." He raised his eyebrows in surprise,"Really!?" I smiled and nodded my head,"You should do that for a livin'." He grinned while he scratched the back of his head,"Thanks."

    All of a sudden, I heard a melody engulf the whole building,"WHOooa, I feel good, i knew that I would." Michael and I looked at each other knowingly and immediately started to dance. I tried to do a few moves, but the heels i was wearin weren't doin me any good. I glanced at Michael who was jammin to the song,"Here's my part." He announced as he started to move like James Brown when the instrumental part came on. I clapped my hands at him as the people around us joined in and watched Michael too. Out of no where, Michael reluctantly grabbed my hand and twirled me around as the song was about to end," So good. So good. I got you." Michael chimed in with the song. I laughed at him as he finally ended the song; he gazed at me and smiled cheekily,"You're a great dancer." Michael complimented. I raised my eyebrow,"Are you kiddin me, you're moves would put James Brown to shame." He chuckled at my comment and embraced me into a hug. The gesture was weird at first but after he let me go it lingered; leaving me wantin more, but not from him. From Dally.

*Dally's POV*

    "That was great Dal." This broad I met a few days ago, complimented. She put her long brunette hair back in a ponytail and sat up from the bed about to put her clothes back on, but paused. She reached over to my night stand and grabbed something,"Who's Diana?" My eyes grew in surprise, I glanced at my finger and quickly realized I had took it off,"It's uh, my sister." "Your sister? You never told me you had a sister." I shrugged my shoulders,"It shouldn't matter." She put down the ring and turn to me,"If I'm gonna be your girl, I should know your family." I scrunched up my nose instinctly,"Who ever said you were my girl?" Her mouth grew open in shock and she glared at me," Fuck you Dally. I hope you drive your car off a cliff!" With that she quickly put on her clothes and stormed out of my room.
    I grabbed a cigarette off my night stand and lit it in my mouth with a match. I took a drag of it and exhaled the smoke. As I was about to flick the ash in the ashtray, the silver band caught my attention. I picked it up and examined it. Her name brought unwanted feelings to my body and I immediately put the ring back on the night stand. No matter how much I try, I can never get her out of my mind.