Inside The Outsider

*Michelle Robinson, Diana's Mother portrayed by Phylicia Rashad*  

Dally wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked along the sidewalk. I snuggled up against him, not wantin' him to leave my side. Even though he's troublin', I always felt safe with him. Once we got closer to my neighborhood, some of the older people were givin' me and Dally weird looks," Dally!?" "Yeah?" "Everyone's lookin' at us." He gently kissed the top of my head," Let em'."

Finally, we arrived at the front of my house, Dally unlatched his arm from my shoulder and grabbed my hand instead. He followed behind me as we walked up the steps and stood on the porch. I turned around and faced Dally," I'll see ya later." "Yeah." As he let go of my hand, the front door flew open," Diana where have you been--?!," I glanced at mama who was wide eyed. She raised her eyebrow and stared at Dally," Diana who's this?" Dally lightly pushed me aside and held out his hand to my mama," Dallas Winston." Mama hesitantly took his hand in hers," Nice to meet you, Mr.Dallas." Mama retrieved her hand and looked at me. She went back inside and I followed her;before I completely shut the door, I swung back around and Dally was a foot away from my face. He quickly placed his soft lips on mine and walked away from the house.

I shut the door completely and turned to go to the kitchen, but mama was standing there with her arms crossed," I see ya first day went well." "It was alright." "Did you walk all the way from school with him?" I nodded my head, "Is somethin' goin on between y'all?" I glanced at Mama, one of her eyebrows raised. I shook my head," No m'am." Her face twisted to the side," Ya sure nothins' goin' on between you and that boy?" Mama questioned sternly as she diced up some vegetables and put them into the boiling pot. I turned away," Ye-Yes m'am." Mama immediately noticed the unsure-ness in my voice, setting down the knife she had in her hand and turned her body to me sternly," Diana Marylin Robinson, do I look like a child?" "No M'am." "Then stop lyin' to me like I am one.Now I was your age once, you don't have to lie chile."

My head lowered to my chest, words were aching to escape my mouth but mama stopped the feeling once she placed her fingers underneath my chin and lifted my head," Imma ask one more time. Is something. Goin' on between you. And that boy?"
I swallowed the lump in my throat," We're um... Together." I shut my eyes, ready for a whirl wind of backlash," Why didn't you tell me Diana?" I shamefully glanced up at her and I lowly —almost whispered "Because he's white-"
"Diana we don't discriminate in this house, you know that. It's bad enough they do it to us. There's no need in fighting fire with fire." "I'm sorry mama, I was just...scared of what you'd think."

Mama sucked her teeth and sighed," C' mere." I slowly paced over to her outstretched arms and wrapped my arms around her torso," As long as he treats you like the queen you are, I don't care what he looks like." She placed a kiss on the top of my head and squeezed me tight," Now go on and stir the pot." "Yes m'am."