Inside The Outsider

After school, Dally was waiting by the stairs again talkin' to Ponyboy and Two-bit. Once they got a glance of me; they waved. Dally shooed them away before I could even say a word to them. Without a word he grabbed ahold of my hand and carefully pulled me beside him," Dally?"
"Yeah Doll."
" My mama wants you to come over...for dinna."
Dally halted right in place. I stopped with him and lightly squeezed his arm," Dally!?"
"Tell em I can't come... Tell em my mom died or somethin'."
"Dally, ain't no sense in lyin'. Just come to dinna it won't be as bad as ya mind is puttin' it."
"Diana, I don't know if you noticed this or not, but I'm not a good person."
I placed my hand on my hip," Says who?"
"Me and everyone else."
"I don't think ya so bad Dallas; and neither will my family."
Dally rubbed his chin, deep in thought. With a huff he rolled his eyes and finally answered," Fine."

After Dally gave in to my request, he walked me home silent as a mouse. Lord knows I would love to know what goes on in that boy's head. It's always something with him," Diana chile—did you hear me?!" Mama yelled as she lightly slapped my arm.

I shook the thoughts out of my head and stared questionably at mama,"Go and set the table chile!"
I quickly gathered the plates and silverware and placed them in an orderly fashion, making sure everything was just right, "You okay Diana? Are you nervous about dinna?" I pulled out one of the chairs from the table and sat down.
I could hear the clinging of the pot settle and a hand gently landed on my shoulder, "What's wrong Diana?"
I bit my bottom lip, tugging at the words I want to say. I could feel mama lightly squeeze my shoulder, " I—it... It's just...Clarice was yappin' about a boyfriend test, and TJ passed the test."
Mama twisted her mouth," A boyfriend test?! Of all the years I lived, I never heard of no boyfriend test," her head fell back as a gust of laughter escaped her mouth," You need to stop listenin' to that girl sometimes; she's gone have you pullin' ya hair out."
Mama chuckled again, " If he's truly a nice boy, you won't have to worry—right?"

I looked up at her and smiled,"Right."

"Now stop worryin' and help ya mama out."

I set the rest of the table and helped mama with the food. As soon as we finished, Daddy came in with Olivia and Henry," Michelle! Diana! " "We're in the kitchen!" Daddy waltzed in and swiftly pecked Mama on the lips. Henry quickly ran into the kitchen and hugged my waist," I missed ya."
I ran my hand through his thick curly hair and smiled down at him; his big puppy eyes already gazing at me," You see me everyday Henry."
I couldn't see the blush on his face but he put his head down and squeezed me tighter, " But I still missed you." I was about to say something but Olivia came in and distracted me from my thoughts," Why are there six plates on the table? —Is TJ comin'?" Mama quickly glanced at me and back at Olivia," Nooo—Diana's friend is comin' over for dinna."

"Clarice is comin'?"

" Noo— Her boy...Friend is comin' over now hush and go get cleaned up." Olivia followed her order and Henry followed behind her. Daddy came over and kissed me on top of my head," Go ahead and get cleaned up." I nodded my head and went to the bathroom with Olivia and Henry. We all washed our hands and went back into the kitchen; Olivia, Henry, and daddy sat at the table. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. My palms were sweatin' and my throat was getting dry. Mama walked ahead of me and swiftly opened the door.

Her eyes grew big but softened," Hello Mr. Winston." "Hello again, Mrs.Robinson." "Come on in." As Dallas stepped a foot in, my jaw nearly dislocated from my head," Dally?!—I mean..Dallas?"

Dally adjusted the collar of his light blue buttoned dress shirt that was tucked into a pair of khaki slacks

Dally adjusted the collar of his light blue buttoned dress shirt that was tucked into a pair of khaki slacks. To make things worse, his hair was neatly combed. It was COMBED!! Mama noticed my contorted expression at Dally's appearance. He looked like the guys that were harassing Pony and Johnny the first time Clarice met them. Dally went in for a hug and I couldn't bring myself to hug him back.

" Come on and meet the others." Mama walked ahead of us and I quickly turned to Dally," What are you doin'!?" I yelled as quietly as i could. He shrugged his straightened shoulders and kissed my cheek," Going to meet the family." He waltzed into the kitchen with confidence as I followed behind him shakin' my head.

As Dally walked in, mama grabbed his shoulders and faced him in front of everybody," Family, this is Mr. Dallas Winston. Diana's friend...Mr.Dallas this is my husband Terrance Sr., my daughter Olivia and my youngest son Henry." Dally put on a smile that I knew was fake, he reached out his hand for my daddy. He stood up and grabbed Dally's hand so tight Dally almost broke out of character," Pleasure finally meeting Diana's family." Mama gave him a huge smile," Come on and sit." I sat beside Olivia and Dally sat beside Henry; Dally sat across from me with Mama at end of the table and Daddy at the other end.

Dally put a hand on his heart and turned to my mother," Mrs. Robinson this food looks quite delicious." "Oh thank you Dallas." "My pleasure." "Lets say grace." Everyone held each other's hand and bowed our heads and closed our eyes," Thank you lord for blessing this meal," I lifted my head up a bit and opened one of my eyes to see Dally already smirking at me," Thank you for protecting us and keeping us alive to see another day. Lastly lord thank you for our new guest; Amen." "Amen"

Seeing Dally act....proper was unsettling to me, I knew he was only messin' around but it made me realize how much I really love Dallas; The tough, hard-headed boy. "You look familiar...Aren't you the boy from the store?" Olivia blurted out. Dally smiled wide and nodded his head," Yes I am." Olivia grabbed my arm and hugged me tight," Seeeee I told you it was love at first sight." I took a sip of my water and glanced at Dally. He quickly winked," Is that where you two met?" Mama questioned. We both glanced at each other and nodded our heads," Yes m'am." I answered.

"Do you go to her school?" Daddy asked as he stared down Dally. He adjusted his collar," Yes I do. We have a few classes together," Dally smiled as he glanced at me," she always helps me. So smart." I rolled my eyes at his lies. Daddy nodded his head and mama placed her hand on mine," You guys truly have an amazing family." "Thank you Mr.Dallas."

As we continued dinner, I could tell that Dally was growin' on my family but for all the wrong reasons. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at everything he said—or better yet lied about. When dinner was finally done, Dally said his goodbye's to my family and I escorted him out of the kitchen.

As we were approaching the front door, I snatched his arm," You got some explainin' to do Dallas." His smile was nonchalant," Dinner was great," He kissed me on top of my head and walked out the door," I'll see ya tomorrow." I watched him waltz away from my house, down the street and out of the neighborhood.

I finally shut the door and went back into the kitchen to help mama clean up," Dallas is a really nice respectable boy, Diana. Good catch." She winked at me and I rolled my eyes once again. That boy is gonna catch something for sure when I see him tomorrow.