Inside The Outsider

* Michael Livingston portrayed by Chadwick Boseman*

"Hellloooo!? Earth to Diana!?" A hand waved across my face, blurring the scene in front of me," Diana can you stop daydreamin' and answer my question?"

I blinked and focused my attention on the feisty girl in front of me," Huh? What's the matter?"
Clarice rolled her eyes and crossed her arms together," Do you want to go to the Function with me tonight?"
I stayed silent, the only thing goin' through my mind was if Dally went to the rumble last night and if he was alright," DIANA!?"

I nearly jumped out of skin," Yes Clarice I'll go!" She shook her head and placed her hand on my shoulder," What's goin' on D?" We continued to walk on the sidewalk in our neighborhood. All the negro kids were outside playing and being free. I turned my attention to them trying to avoid the concern I had for Dally.
Clarice slightly squeezed my shoulder and I paused," I'm just worried about Dally," I sighed,"he went to the rumble last night and I don't know if he's okay."

Clarice shook her head," Diana you have nothing to worry about," she waved her hand like she was swatting a fly,"the rumble didn't happen."

I raised my eyebrow," How do you know that?"
"Cause it would've been on the radio, anytime a rumble happens here everyone and they mama knows about it."
I gave her a quick glance and back to the happy children," He's fine. Now what ya gonna wear tonight?"
I continued to stare off into the distance," Maybe the dress mama gave me for my birthday—"

Clarice gasped," You still haven't worn that! I would've worn it as SOON as I took it out the box!" 
I shrugged my shoulders," I was waiting for a special occasion."
Clarice twirled around me and twinkled her eyes," Everyday is a special occasion."

I studied myself in the bathroom mirror, I combed my fingers through my straightened hair that Mama helped me with. I smoothed the wrinkles out my dress and gave myself a quick smile. As quickly as it went up, my smile faded when I noticed Dally's ring on my finger. I really hope Clarice is right and that nothing happened. As stubborn and cold as he is, he still finds a way to warm my heart, always.

I exited out the bathroom and was nearly out the front door," Diana be careful out there! Come back at a decent hour ya hear me!?"
Mama yelled from the kitchen.
"Yes m'am."
I closed the front door behind me and went to Clarice's house. She was already outside on the porch with her arms crossed," You finally showed up," She skipped down her stairs and intertwined her arm around mine," Now let's go before we miss all the fun."

As always, the Function was packed and lively. Every negro teen in town was in here. A smile immediately grew on my face once I seen everyone enjoying themselves. Clarice squeezed my hand and dragged me close behind her as she rushed us over to the dance floor.

As the music flooded our ears and our bodies began to move, I could see Michael from the corner of my eye. He gazed at me for a quick moment then quickly turned his attention to the girl he was dancing with.

Clarice held onto to my arm as we both danced to the tune. At this moment, nothing could tear us down or get in our way. Everything seemed to be flooded with sound. My head turned towards Michael. He had walked away from the girl he was dancin' with and over to a group of boys from school.

My feet continued to move, but my eyes stayed glued to him. Him and more guys gave each other a look and like an army of troops; they followed behind one another.

Soon my feet had a mind of its own and I reluctantly followed the steps of the boys," Diana? Where are you going?!" I glanced at Clarice for a quick second and continued to follow the boys.

They all went out the building and started walking along the empty sidewalks. I was about to follow close behind them until I was halted," Diana, why are you following them?"
I shrugged my shoulders," I wanna know where they're goin'?"