Inside The Outsider

I've been through a lot this past year, but I never thought I'd have a stare down with death. And honestly, I almost lost. I rested my head on the pillow, looking up at the blank ceiling. Suddenly, a hand squeezed my own and I flinched," I don't want you to leave," Clarice confessed as she looked up at the ceiling as well," I feel like you just got here—and now ya leavin'." I glanced over at her and she did the same," This summer wasn't enough time for us—I can't start senior year without you Diana!"

I slightly smiled at the frantic girl," You'll have Lisa and Cheryl." We both looked at each other at the same time. Clarice rolled her eyes as she twisted her mouth," I don't want to see them heffas—I want my Diana Robinson." I smiled at her and she returned the gesture. I stared up at the ceiling again not wanting to think about my parent's decision for my living situation. My attention was broken from the ceiling when I heard Clarice huff," I told you Diana—not to go over there—Not to follow them boys—"

I released my hand from hers," Clarice! Stop with the 'I told you so's'," I shook my head, a tear was on the edge of my waterline itchin' to jump," I messed up okay!—I know." I shot up from the bed and hugged my knees to my chest, trying to mask my heaving chest," I know I messed everything up," the tears began to fall and I couldn't control them," I just wanted them to stop fightin' each other."

The bed shifted, I could feel a pair of arms wrap around me," You didn't mess everything up—But you're not a super hero Diana—It's not ya job to save them." Clarice rubbed my back in soothing circles. I wiped the tears from my face with my the sleeve of my night gown," I just—," I paused my sentence trying to gather my words and thoughts," Ever since my friend was killed in the church bombing–I–I felt so guilty that I wasn't there," I turned my head to face Clarice," I wasn't there to save her....I guess tryin' to save people is just engraved into me now."
Clarice didn't say anything, she squeezed me tighter in her arms. She laid my head on her shoulder and softly swayed side to side.

"Come on, let's get to sleep–So we can help my mama with breakfast in the morning." Clarice stated as she pushed back her bed covers. We both got in, I tangled myself in the sheets to get more comfortable," Why couldn't the summer last longer-we barely got to go to the pool." Clarice huffed as she fluffed her pillow," We should've had more sleepover's like this." I chimed in.

Once Clarice got comfortable, she turned to me," I'm surprised ya mama let you come over here." I furrowed my brows," My house is just down the street Clarice." "I know—but ya know–she's a little..." She put her finger to the side of her head and twirled it in a circular motion. I lightly hit her arm and she smiled," Well when you come back from Georgia next summer–We can have all the sleepover's and pool days as we want."

I nodded my head. Clarice raised herself with her elbow," On second thought—I'm glad we missed out on the pool," Her face contorted in disgust," Seeing everyone's crusty feet go into the water made me want to puke!" She put her finger to her mouth and pretended to gag. I laughed at her and shook my head," Ugh reminds me of ya brother's feet—They smell so baaad!" She lifted the covers," Do yours stink too—If so you need to get the steppin'!"

I pulled down the covers and clutched my stomach from all the laughter," NO—They don't stink!" She slightly lifted the cover again," Ya sure?" "Yes!" I shook my head," The men in my family have really bad feet—Mama complains about it all the time." Clarice rolled my eyes," Wish you would've told me that before introducing us." She crossed her arms over her chest," You introduced yaself—I could barely talk to 'em."
"Well—You know me—Confident and persistent."
I wrapped my arms around her," And I wouldn't change it for nothin'."

I walked close by Dally as he lead us to our destination that only he knew about," Where are we going Dally?—My feet hurt–" Abruptly he turned around and gripped my arm," Hey–cut it with the complaining." He swiftly bent down and tossed me on his back, grasping my legs. I snaked my arms around his neck," Much better."

I didn't have to see his face to know his eyes rolled in the back of his head. I placed a small kiss on his cheek as he squeezed the back of my thighs,"Seriously Dally, where ya takin' me?" I glanced at our surroundings, there was nothing but tall grass and old abandoned buildings," The best spot in the city." He twisted his head to look at me with a long smirk on his face," This is what you call the best?"

He shook his head as he adjusted me on his back," Cut the attitude—We're not there yet." I lightly smacked the back of his head as he continued on the path to the "best part of the city".

Still with me on his back, he walked over to the tallest abandoned building. Carelessly, stomping in the tall grass and overgrown weeds; grasshoppers hopping out of the way trying not to get crushed.

Once we got to a clearer area of the building, Dally set me down," You're a little heavier than I thought, Doll." My mouth opened wide at his remark. I quickly slapped his arm as hard as I could," Ow shit!—I was jokin'!" I crossed my arms over my chest as I glared over at him," It wasn't funny." He glared back over at me, before rolling his eyes," Sorry D—now can we get a move on?"

I still stood there with my arms crossed," Now you really have to carry me—All the way." He rolled his eyes again as he huffed. With a swift motion, he sweeped me off the ground and carried me like a bride," Ya happy?" I smiled wide at the agitated boy," Ecstatic!" He walked up the old wooden stairs that was surrounded by tattered crumbling walls. I held a tight grip around his neck, trying not to get snatched by the overgrowing plants that were everywhere.

After many stairs and frightening weeds, we finally got to the very top of the building. Dally set me down for good this time, instead grabbing my hand and pulling me to the edge of the building. He sat down on the edge and motioned me to do the same. I carefully sat down next to him and glanced over at him. He looked so mesmerized by the scene before him. I followed his eyes and was taking away by the sight. From where we were, we could see the whole city.

We could see every building, every house, every car—Everything! It was amazing,"I feel like God." Dally stated as he continued to look at the city," It's really peaceful up here." I chimed in as I laid my head on his shoulder. He took my hand into his own and squeezed it gently," We could still run away ya know..." We glanced at each other at the same time, but I shook my head," You know I can't do that Dally—I already caused enough trouble for my family."

"It wasn't your fault D—"

"It doesn't matter if it was my fault or not Dally—It still happened and it scared my family half to death," I squeezed his hand," I can't do that to them anymore, it's not fair to them." I looked at him as he shook his head," It's not fair that you're leaving," His head hung low as he rubbed the back of my hand," leaving me."

I snaked my hand behind his neck and brought his face down to mine, placing a soft kiss on his cheek," You can still call and talk to me Dally—" "It won't be the same D." I caressed his soft cheek that was turning red now," I know—" Dally turned to me, grabbing my arms in his hands," Then leave with me Diana!" His eyes were frantic and his breathing was getting faster," Dallas Winston cut it out!"

Once he heard the tone in my voice, he immediately calmed down, coming to terms with his defeat," Sorry D..." I pulled him down to my chest and kissed the top of his head," I love you Dallas." "I love you too Diana."

We stayed up top of that building, reminiscing about all the good times that we had to where we are now. Before we knew it, the sun had started to set," Dally I have to get back home and finish packing." He sighed nodding his head at my statement. He got up from where he was sitting and grabbed my hand, pulling me up with him. He placed a small kiss on the back of my hand," As you wish,Doll."

Author's Note :

Hi guys, I am so happy that you all are enjoying this book. I never would have thought that people would even read this. I am so grateful for all the love and votes from you all. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep commenting; y'alls comments are freaking hilarious and it always makes my day! Anyways, the next chapter will be the final one and the ending of this story. Again, thank you all so sooo much, I really appreciate every single one of you...

- Jade