Six

Harry

A smile comes across my face as Ottie runs into my room, still dressed in her dance clothes. I tried to get her to change once we got home, but she loves running around the house in her little leotard and legwarmers. She even went as far as putting her ballet slippers back on as soon as we got home.

"Where are you going daddy?" She asks, tilting her head to the side as she leans against the bed. She was confused before when we got back from dance and Melissa was here since she usually has the weekends off.

"Well, it's uncle Warren's birthday and so I'm going to his birthday party." I explain as I finish putting my rings on.

"Can I come?! I love birthdays!"

I scrunch my nose before squatting down to her level. "His party isn't for kids, love. Plus, it's almost bedtime. Miss Mel is gonna get you in the bath soon and maybe if you're good she'll let you watch a movie."

She nods, reaching forward to play with my cross necklace. "Okay daddy. When will you be back?"

"Probably late, you'll already be sleeping. But I'll be here when you wake up, I promise."

"Can I sleep in your bed tonight?" She gives me those sweet little puppy eyes she's mastered and of course my heart melts.

"I'll tell Miss Mel to let you sleep in my bed." She smiles and I can't help but shake my head. "Come on, I have to get going."

Even though Warren offered to have his sister babysit for the night, I felt more comfortable having Melissa stay with Ottie. It's not that I don't trust Claudia, because I do and she's like family. She just doesn't know Ottilie the way that Mel does. So when Melissa said she was available to watch Ottie, I knew there was no excuse for me not to go tonight.

I can't lie, I'm nervous about going out for the night. Going out in New York City is a whole lot different than going out back home in Manchester. I don't want to be away from her, but I know it's also unrealistic to be attached at the hip all the time. We have to start somewhere and I guess we're starting with me going to a strip club.

I'm not even a big fan of strip clubs to begin with, which I almost used as an excuse to get out of going. I've been to a couple in my life, mainly when I was in my early twenties. Usually by the end of the night I feel gross and like I just objectified a bunch of women. I know they're just doing their jobs and of course sex workers are valid, it's just not something I was ever super comfortable with.

Of course, I love sex. After Adriana left I had a lot of casual sex and I think it's healthy to do so. And in my life I've paid for sex maybe a handful of times, but there's something about going to a strip club that just makes me feel dirty. Maybe it's just the reputation that guys who go to strip clubs are pervs. Because I do have the utmost respect for women and their bodies, but maybe now I'm thinking too far into it.

It's just a strip club, Harry. There are probably hundreds in this city alone. It's not that big of a deal.

Hand in hand, Ottilie and I walk out of my room and to the living room. Before Melissa got here I made dinner and ate with Ottie just so she had less work to do. She always tells me that I pay her too much given the fact that I always try to do things for her, but I disagree. She does so much for Ottie and I would pay her double what she makes. I'm just Ottie's dad and I want to be there for her. I don't want to be that dad that throws his kid to the nanny to raise.

Ottilie runs to her dolls on the couch and I head over to the kitchen where Melissa is cleaning off her own dinner plate that I left. "Good?"

"It was great, Harry. Thank you. You're heading out now?"