Nine

Harry

Kissing Ottilie's head gently, I tuck her in nice and cozy into bed. She fell asleep on me while we were watching Encanto, so it was an easy transfer to get her to bed. She stirs a bit in bed, getting comfortable against her pillow but she stays asleep.

Flicking on her nightlight, I quietly exit her room, closing her door behind me. A quick glance at my watch shows that it's nine. Warren should be here any minute.

I felt too bad asking Melissa to come so late to watch Ottilie, especially since she had the day off today. Warren is quite literally only to be called in case of an absolute childcare emergency, which is why I made sure Ottie was sound asleep before he got here. I'm not even sure if he's watched her in the past, but I'm limited on resources when it comes to last minute babysitters in New York.

Warren arrives as I'm slipping on my black tweed suit jacket, walking in from the elevator. I had already let the doorman know that I was expecting him, just to avoid having to be attached to the phone while I was putting Ottie to bed. He smiles at me, taking off his shoes as he settles in.

"Thanks for watching her."

"Of course man. I'm just glad that you're getting back out there!"

Okay, maybe I told a lie to get him to come. But I wasn't going to admit that I was going to Afterlife to see Isabella again. He thinks I'm going out on a date and that's why I won't be home tonight. I'm sure if he knew I was going to Afterlife he would have still agreed to watch Ottie, but I already have this guilty feeling about going, I don't need Warren taunting me.

The last thing I should be doing right now is going to the club. Isabella and I left things on a good note and she didn't think I was a creep for being at Afterlife. And I'm not even sure I'm going to see her, per say. What the owner said has just been really eating me up since Isabella and I talked.

She made it abundantly clear that she wasn't seeing that guy, even going as far to say that they dated in the past. It makes no sense that she would lie about that. And if she's not dating that guy and hasn't in a while, it worries me that he's going around saying stuff like that to random men. Just because she works for him doesn't mean that she's his property.

I know Isabella wouldn't want me to meddle and that I all but promised I would never go back, but I have this feeling in my gut that something about that guy isn't right. Maybe he was having an off night, but I don't tend to give guys like him the benefit of the doubt. Ever since having Ottilie and becoming a father to a daughter, I've quickly become aware of how shitty men could be.

"Yeah, I should head out. I'll text you when I'm on my way back home, but feel free to snack and sleep. Ottie shouldn't wake up, but if she does she's really easy to get back to bed. You know to call if anything happens." I go over the list of reminders in my head and Warren listens, or at least he pretends to.

"Got it. We will be all good here, you go have fun. Honestly I hope you go all the way tonight, you need it for sure." He teases, laughing at his own joke while I roll my eyes.

"Goodnight, Warren!" I head over to the elevator once I have everything I need, knowing this is a bad idea but committing to it.

"Goodnight, H!"

I opted out of having my driver take me to the club, the less people who know about this the better. Instead, I walk to the corner and get a taxi to take me to the area. I would take the subway but I'm not too knowledgeable of how to get around the subway system. I'd probably get lost very quickly down there so I usually avoid it. Is it stupid of me to take a taxi but not ask my driver to come? Probably, but I don't know how long I'll be there and I don't want him to wait up for me.