Twenty Six

Isabella

Harry and I haven't talked much since the gala. I've seen him at dance when he drops off Ottie and we'll be cordial with each other, but he told me he's giving me time to cool off. I think he wants to have a conversation about what happened at some point before we get back to having sex.

That's the mature option anyways. Talking out problems instead of letting them fester. Granted, Chris never did that. Chris hated talking things out, but then again look where we ended up. It all boiled over until I left.

I don't want that to be the situation with Harry. Not even because of the money, but he's kind to me. He treats me with respect and puts up with my bullshit. Maybe it's because he's so much older and has more patience, whatever it is, I like having him around. He's stable and I think I need that in my life, especially right now.

A part of me wants to reach out and ask him if we're okay. I mean, he did drop off the morning after pill at the apartment like he promised. I just hate to think that he's mad at me. He didn't do anything wrong, he just wanted to get to know me and I closed up. It was just an instinct.

Kat and Brynn finally were able to take time out of their busy schedules to hang out. They wanted details about the gala and Kat especially wanted to know what is going on between Harry and I.

Sitting on the couches with some hot chocolate, we caught up on the last week and a half of each other's lives. It's hard to believe that it's already December, time just flies by.

Unfortunately, the conversation quickly turns back to me. Those two can't make a conversation stretch longer than five seconds. Between Brynn not telling me anything to do with Afterlife because of Chris and Kat saying that she doesn't have anything to really update about because she works a boring office job, apparently I'm the only one with an interesting life.

Who would've guessed?

"I don't have much of a life either." I joke with a sarcastic sigh.

They roll their eyes at me, and Brynn shoves my arm with a smile. "Oh please. Out of the three of us here, only one was plastered on the front page of every tabloid and newspaper."

I turn to Kat with a smile, "You were on the front page?" That earns me another playful shove. "Fine, fine. What do you want to know?"

"Was Ryan Reynolds there?" Brynn asks. Was he? I honestly have no clue who was actually at that event.

"No. At least, I didn't see him there. However your bestie Alessandro was there. He's so sweet, we talked so much."

"And what about Harry?" Kat asks, a light smirk on her lips.

"He was good. It was much better than that god awful golf event. We actually had a really nice night together." I shrug, taking a sip from my hot chocolate.

"So why have you been avoiding talking about him or that night like the plague?"

Biting my lip, I weigh my options. Lie or tell the truth. Tell them that I freaked out and he left before I wandered off into the city in the middle of a cold night. Clearly they know something is up between us and my hesitation to answer only proves them right.

With a shrug, I scratch my nail against the ceramic mug in my hand. "It was just a rough week. You know this time of the year is hard for me..."

Kat nods understandingly and Brynn puts her hand comfortingly on my knee. "Did he ask?"

Thank god I didn't have to say it. "In a way. But enough about that. He told me about his ex." I'll always take an opportunity to deflect and not talk about my feelings. The girls know that too, which is why they are more than happy to move on.