Forty Five

Isabella

The light flooding into the room makes the pounding in my head even worse. With a groan, I turn over in bed and hide my face in Christian's chest to block out the light. I don't even remember getting home last night, but I guess that's what happens when you mix coke and tequila.

Chris holds me closer, easing me back into a dreamy state. He feels warm, safe. Maybe after all of that mess, this is where I belong. With Christian. I was in denial for so long, but right now feels like things are going to be okay. It feels right.

We stay wrapped up in each other for the longest time, mostly because I don't have the energy in me to get up yet. The hangover is just keeping me from wanting to open my eyes.

Finally he starts to shift, trying to get me off of him so he could get out of bed. "No, stay..." I mumble, trying to move closer to him.

"I'm gonna go make coffee. Do you want some?"

That is not Christian.

My eyes shoot open and I sit up in complete shock, pulling the blanket around myself. Harry's eyes widen at my change in mood, putting his hands up in defense. That's when I realize where we are.

"What the fuck am I doing here and why are you in bed with me?"

He gets out of the bed, "Brynn called me last night and told me that you were in trouble at Afterlife and that I should come get you. She didn't call Kat because she didn't want her to see you drunk since I'm assuming she doesn't know. And I'm glad that I went and got you because I don't even want to think about what would've happened to you if I didn't."

My eyes roll, "I was fine. Brynn shouldn't have called anyone, I knew what I was doing. You had no right showing up and kidnapping me."

He shakes his head, not looking angry, more disappointed, which hurts more. "Isabella, you don't even remember that I brought you here. When I got to you, you were so intoxicated that I had to carry you from the car to the apartment. Talk to me, Iz. You can talk to me."

"I need to go. Chris is gonna be pissed and I need to talk him down. Fuck, Harry, we were finally in a good place!"

"A good place? That's what you call a good place? He was feeding you tequila and cocaine while he was completely sober! And you aren't going back there. You are not going to be alone with that man, not after everything he's done to you."

"I am my own person, Harry. If I want to drink then I will. It's not up to you to make these decisions for me. We broke up, you're married. I'd rather Kat knew I was drinking again than have you show up again as if nothing changed between us when everything changed."

Angry tears start pooling up in my eyes as realization starts to hit. For a moment I let myself forget about him. I didn't have time to think about his wife or how they were trying to have another baby. For a few short moments, Harry didn't exist in my universe anymore.

Now we're just right back in the middle of everything. Back at Cornelia street, sleeping in the same bed. Harry saving me all over again. I don't want to get caught up in this cycle with him, it's too painful.

He sighs when he sees my tears, crossing his arms over his chest. "Look, I'm gonna go make some coffee and breakfast. Get dressed, take a moment, and we can talk more over food. But we are going to talk, Isabella. This is serious." His voice is softer now as he tries to settle me down.

"Harry, I really don't want to talk about this with you. You aren't in my life anymore, I'm not in yours. This isn't your responsibility."

My chest tightens involuntarily when his eyes meet mine. "Isabella... I know I fucked us up. I'm so extraordinarily apologetic for what I've done and what it has led to. You deserve better than me, better than Christian. Look, I could do all the talking and you could sit there and not listen to a word I say. But I care about you Isabella. You have such a bright future."