32. This Is Me

I am who I'm meant to be - Keala Settle

1:58 PM, Friday, December 31, 2021

Chele's spidey senses are tingling, and she glances over to find Gemma watching her again. What in the world? How can she possibly focus on her work with this kind of attention on her? Furthermore, what stick is up Gemma's bum? Last night she had been rude during the concert, and now she's watching Chele as though afraid the blogger will abscond with the silver.

The next little girl reminds Chele of Paige, her eyes full of wonder as she watches Harry taking photos and talking with a teenage boy. When the pint-sized fan starts shaking and crying, Chele switches her attention entirely to the child. Rising from the chair where she'd been taking notes, Chele places her notebook and pencil on the coffee table, swiftly walking to the parent and child. Kneeling in front of the girl, Chele smiles at her.

"Hi, my name is Chele. What's yours?"

Hiding behind her mother's legs, the girl sticks her thumb in her mouth and warily watches the strange lady.

"She's Sadie," the woman says.

"Oh, Sadie! What a beautiful name! Sadie the Lady. I think that should be your nickname because you are indeed an pretty lady. Harry is so lucky to get to meet you."

Moving her thumb to the side, Sadie speaks slowly and carefully. "You know Harry?"

"Yes, I do! We're friends."

Sadie steps out from behind her mom. "What he like?"

Glancing over her shoulder at where the musician continues to chat with the boy, Chele smiles. "I don't know if I've ever met anyone kinder."

Eyes widening, Sadie moves closer to Chele. "So he not scary?"

"Definitely not!" Chele quickly reassures her. "In fact, I'll let you in on a little secret."

"Really?"

"Yep. Come closer." She crooks her finger in the girl's direction. When Sadie is right next to Chele, she whispers in her ear. "He's scared of you."

"Nuh uh," Sadie protests, putting her hands on her hips. "Harry not scared of nothing."

"He doesn't know what to say to people at these things," Chele reveals. "So he does a lot of listening and just chews his gum." She watches as Sadie looks over her shoulder at Harry.

"He chewing gum now," the tyke reports.

"Hmmmm," Chele comments, "I wonder what you could do to make him not be so scared when it's your turn."

Putting her finger on her chin, Sadie assumes the classic thinking pose. Shyly, she asks, "Maybe I give him a hug?"

"What a lovely idea! I think he would like that, and it would probably make him less nervous. Do you think you could do that? When it's your turn, walk over and ask him for a hug?"

"Mhm. What I say?"

"I think you could say, 'My name is Sadie. Can I have a hug?'"

Biting her lip, the girl peers at her mother standing behind them. "Mommy says 'may'."

For a moment Chele is confused. Catching on, she nods. "Absolutely! You walk over to Harry and say, 'My name is Sadie. May I have a hug?' Can you do that?"

"Uh huh," she nods her head multiple times.

As she hears the teen boy finish up his time with Harry, Chele whispers to Sadie. "I think he's ready for you. You got this."