46. Faithfully

Circus life under the big top world - Journey

11:47 AM, Sunday, March 20, 2022

"I don't know, Harry," Olive stands with her hands on her hips, watching as the lighting technicians put up the stage lights. "It's expensive as hell to ship it all on a plane. Plus there's the danger that equipment will be damaged on the trip. Makes more sense to postpone the Chilean shows until the end of tour."

Already shaking his head, Harry glances at Jeffrey. "Come on, Jeffrey. We can't postpone. There's time between shows in Chile and Argentina to fly the set."

"Jesus, H. That's fucking expensive." Jeffrey literally wrings his hands before stuffing them in his pockets.

"Insurance will pick up some of the cost. But I'm not going to disappoint those fans. The bigger challenge is Brazil at this point. There's simply not enough time to fly the set from Argentina to Brazil." Harry is insistent. It's his first tour in ages, and the fans have been patient enough for a world tour this size. He owes it to them.

"It's risky," Molly chimes in from the FaceTime call on the table nearby. "What's our backup plan?"

Mind reeling, Harry rubs a hand over his weary face. "I suppose it makes sense that we need a backup plan to the backup plan."

"I've got people tracking down the missing set while a crew in Brazil is building a third set to the specs we sent, but it's going to be dicey no matter what. The timing just isn't great. I really wish you would consider postponing some shows," Jeffrey sighs, clearly exasperated.

"Listen up, everyone!" Harry claps his hands to get the attention of the band and lead crew. "Figure out for me what is absolutely required to do the show. The bare minimum. If we don't use our own lighting, what can we rig at some shows? What visual effects can we do without? The fans don't care about the flash. They care about the music, so let's make music happen for them. I need everyone to list out the absolute least amount of equipment we need to make a show happen!"

People scramble in four different directions. Hopefully by the time the show is over, they will have a full plan in place of what needs to travel by plane to the next venue in Chile, and what can be shipped directly to Argentina.

"You've lost your mind, Harry," Jeffrey comments, shaking his head as he walks away.

Immediately, Harry's brain and eyes seek out Chele. She's got to be around somewhere since her plan was to write up some of their experience at Machu Picchu for the blog. The arena is set up, and he finally spies her towards the back of the floor, sitting on the ground as she plays with a puppy. Jogging towards her, he smiles as the small dog jumps on her, and she squeals with delight. Picking up the puppy, she holds it over her head, bringing it down to rub noses.

"My heart is going to burst with this cuteness overload!" he declares when he gets close.

"I know!" Chele gushes. "This little one is so adorable."

Plopping on the ground next to the two of them, Harry grins as the puppy crawls to him with its front paws and head down, but its bum in the air and tail wagging. Reaching out his hand, Harry allows the dog to sniff him before running his fingers through its coat.

"Wasn't talking about the puppy," he grumbles, wishing he could lean over and press a kiss to her lips. The crew in the United States had protected them, but there are strangers everywhere in this country. People who may or may not be trustworthy.

"That looked pretty serious," Chele states, pointing to the stage. "Everything okay?"

"Nope," he shrugs, "But it will be."