33. More Than Words

All you have to do is close your eyes; Just reach out your hands and touch me. - Extreme

11:07 PM, Friday, December 31, 2021

"Hurry up, Chele!" Sarah yells, laughing as she runs down the tunnel still wearing her Gucci stage outfit. "We've got to get to Reagan National fast."

Not having jogged much while on tour, it takes a few strides for Chele to get up to speed so she's running beside the drummer. "Where are Anne, Gemma, and Jeffrey?"

"Ugh. Probably already waiting on us. I bet they got the good seats."

Behind them, she hears one of the backstage golf carts approaching on their right sides. "There are faster ways to get somewhere," Mitch teases, waving to them as he, Harry, and Wendell ride past.

Sarah's middle finger raises in the direction of the speeding vehicle, and Chele laughs.

"Attends-moi, s'il te plaît!" Hélène calls from behind them. Twisting her head, Chele spies the photographer attempting to catch up as she holds her camera in one hand and her shoes in the other. With every step she jogs, the camera strap bounces, and her bare feet smack against the cement floor.

"Hurry up!" Sarah yells.

"Do you think they'll take off without us?" Chele wonders as they near the underground parking area for hired cars.

"I doubt it, but I want to be in the air at midnight!" With an added burst of speed, the drummer surges ahead.

Oh, it's a competition? Chele uses her reserve power, soaring past Sarah just at the finish line. Or car lane.

The boys have already piled into one vehicle, and the driver pulls away. Hélène climbs into the center of the second car between the blogger and the drummer.

"Let's go!" Sarah yells to the driver. "Get us to Reagan fast!"

With the very clear orders, the car's driver accelerates quickly, soaring past the fans still heading to their vehicles following the concert. Chele giggles. Racing to beat the concertgoers out of the arena is a new experience for her. What fun! It's a bonus that they actually succeed.

She gets her breathing under control as the car makes its way to the airport fifteen minutes away. Upon arrival, the driver pulls up just outside a private jet. Now this is the life! Sadly, it's too dark to take video, but Phoenix is going to love hearing this story.

Climbing the stairs into the jet, Chele is greeted by a gentleman at the door. His uniform identifies him as part of the crew, and he holds a tray with champagne glasses.

"Miss?" He offers, and Chele giddily takes a drink. Such luxury!

Wandering past the galley, she spies the trays filled with food. Her stomach rumbles at the sight even though she knows it's all vegan. The stuffed mushrooms look incredible, and she's dying to try the pinwheels even though she has no clue what's inside them.

"Chele!" Anne greets her with a hug.

Glancing around at the plane's passengers, Chele doesn't see Harry. When the pilot comes over the loudspeaker, he announces that they are sealing the door and preparing for takeoff. "Might be a good idea to buckle up until we're in the air," he cautions. Panicked, Chele seeks Harry's head, but it's nowhere to be found.

"Sit with me for a minute," Adam insists, yanking Chele's arm to haul her into a chair across from him. He gestures that she should buckle up, but her eyes won't stop moving as she seeks Harry.

Leaning forward, Adam removes her glass from her hand while she wraps the seatbelt around her middle. "Don't worry. He's changing clothes in the back."

Relief courses through her body as the airplane garners speed, finally lifting off the ground. A muffled thump and a "Shit" from the bathroom at the back of the plane makes Chele smile. He's okay. Thank goodness. She should have realized that he wouldn't want to wear his sweaty show clothes for the flight. No one else has changed, though Chele spies the backpacks they had all packed and handed over when they exited the bus earlier today. Hers contains her sleep clothes, and she cannot fathom why she had packed those. It feels silly to her now. Why hadn't she packed a party dress or something flirty? It's New Year's Eve after all!