58. This Town Still Talks About You

You were so loved, you were one of our own. - Natalie Hemby

3:31 PM, Sunday, July 3, 2022

"Change of plans," Harry's voice sounds hushed on the phone as Chele paces in the airport lounge. "You and the girls need to get the rental car and pick us up off site."

"Off site? You mean not at the airport? What's going on, H?" Biting her lip, Chele is already signaling to Phoenix and Paige to grab their things. Brows drawn and mouth curving downwards in a frown, Phee complies with the nonverbal direction. The teenager starts stuffing items into Paige's backpack, including her sister's panda and soft blanket.

"Don't freak out. Patrick and I were photographed at the Tokyo airport. I'll be shocked if the photos aren't already on social media."

Chele's stomach does a dramatic flip at this news. Patrick is going to be in photographs with Harry? That's not in the plan.

"Holy impolite images! So what's the new plan?"

"I've no idea if word got out what airport we were flying into, so Patrick and I are going to split up and take separate vehicles. I'll text you an address where we can meet up. It's the safest way to make sure you and the girls don't get in any photos."

"Got it. See you there."

Thumbing off the phone, she smiles at her nieces. "No biggie. We're just going to meet the boys somewhere else. Let's go get the rental." Gathering her items, she throws her backpack over her shoulder and pulls her suitcase behind her. "Paige, come hold my hand."

"No. I wanna hold Hawwy's hand." The little one pouts, and Chele understands completely. It's been too long since they've been together.

"That will be difficult since we're not going to see him here."

"Fine. I hold Phee's hand then."

The minor slam doesn't bother Chele. Her mind is running a mile a minute. Although her boss doesn't care that she's dating Harry, and the two of them are bound to be caught sooner rather than later, it's not okay for the kids to be caught in the middle. If it were simply Harry and Chele traveling together, she wouldn't have an issue with the situation.

==========

5:52 PM, Sunday, July 3, 2022

"The town is dead," Patrick sighs from the backseat where he's wedged next to the girls. "Not even six o'clock on a Sunday night, and they've already rolled up the sidewalks."

Harry chuckles as he parks in front of Chele's townhouse. "Personally, I'm grateful for a little quiet." As everyone piles out of the car, he wraps his arm around Chele and plants a quick kiss on her lips before whispering. "It made it easier to see we weren't being followed."

Her hand reaches up to brush his bangs from his face. "You look tired. Maybe a bath once we get settled in at the All Booked Up?"

"Did you make reservations?" he teases, removing the heavier luggage from Phoenix's hand and carrying it to the townhouse.

"After the last time, you better believe it. Patrick, can we just dump everything at your place? Tomorrow I'll do laundry."

"My place? Aunt Chele, it's still your townhouse." His facial expression reveals a mixture of derision and hope.

"Mhm. We can discuss that later. Right now, I'm tired and hungry. Not necessarily in that order." Placing her hand on her back, she gazes across at The Cellar. "I wonder what this week's cuisine is."

"If it's Japanese, I'm gonna hurl," Phee comments. "Maybe I'll just go home and find something in the fridge. I can't wait to call Aly and tell her all about our trip. Holy shit! We saw Tokyo and London and Chicago!"