56. Take Me to the Pilot

Lead me through the chamber - Elton John

8:34 AM, Sunday, June 26, 2022

When Patrick awakens in the hotel room, he's stumped as to what noise distracted him from the dream he was having. Lifting his head, he peers around the hotel room with its three beds, spying Paige and Phoenix cuddled together on one bed. Hearing soft voices, he slides out from under the sheets and tiptoes to the door for the adjoining room.

"I think it's too risky, Harry," Aunt Chele is whispering. "We've been very public here with the kids, and I don't want them getting caught in the crossfire. It's been amazing having them here, but..."

Harry sighs, "Baby, we agreed that we are going to live our best lives and not worry about all of that."

"I've been talking to Jeffrey about an idea..."

"Wait. What? Without me?"

"I promised I wouldn't follow through during our break, but I really think it's the best idea. The only one that makes any sense right now."

Peering through the crack in the door, Patrick spies Harry sipping a cup of coffee. He winces. "I miss having Brainwash coffee."

"Me too," Aunt Chele smiles, touching Harry's hand.

"I know I'm going to hate it, but what's your suggestion?"

Patrick's stomach starts churning. What is going on with these two?

"I think the best solution is for me to fly to London and talk to Mandy. Tell her about us."

Harry sits up straight, and a loud "NO" bursts from his mouth.

"Shhhhhh," Aunt Chele whispers. "It's the best way to handle this. If she finds out from me..."

"She'll fire you."

"Possibly. But if she finds out from someone else, she'll definitely fire me for betraying her. Harry, I know it sucks. There are no good solutions to this issue. We don't have to go public, but one photo of us while we're out holding hands or hanging with the kids would launch us into the realm where our privacy no longer exists."

Silence reigns, and Patrick watches Harry sip from his cup. Why isn't he saying no to this idea? If Aunt Chele gets fired, how will she get another job? She won't be on tour with Harry anymore. The last few days, Patrick and Phoenix have exchanged glances and whispered conversations because it looks like Harry might become their uncle by the time tour is over. But if Aunt Chele isn't traveling with him, how will they fall further in love and get married? No. This is not an option he will entertain. Dammit.

"What happens if she does fire you?"

"That's why I talked to Jeffrey. Maybe he can get me an interview somewhere? Or find me an agent since Full Stop doesn't manage writers."

"You would leave tour?" The shock and disappointment in Harry's voice matches the emotions roiling through Patrick's stomach.

Aunt Chele looks away from Harry, and sighs. "I don't want to leave tour, but I have a non-compete clause in my contract. I can't stay on and write about you or tour."

"Why did you sign something like that?" Harry grouses.

"Umm...because at the time I thought I was going to be writing about Bieber! No one told me it was you. Besides, I could have come on tour with you and not have fallen in love. Or fallen for someone else."

"Oh, really?" Harry raises his eyebrow, and Patrick wonders if that one-eyebrow thing is something that can be taught.

"You think you're that irresistible?"