ARTHUR'S MEMORY

A young 10 year old Arthur looked up from his meal. He was eating his dinner outside near the stables instead of with uncle and brother, preferring to eat alone after sword practice to enjoy the sunset. Only his bread remained on his plate. This was one of the only times he could be free when he wasn't practicing swordsmanship or learning about magic from Merlin, who lived in the forest. Grabbing his bread, Arthur dipped it into the remaining juice from his steak, before bringing it to his mouth, ready to devour the delicious bread.

*CRASH*

Arthur stopped himself, looking over to the cause of the disturbance. An old, hunched back lady laid in the mud far off. Her belongings crashed into the mud. Three boys stood towering over the lady. Arthur knew the boys, common bullies. Not willing too let the boys bully an old lady, Arthur hopped off the fence, bread still in hand, and marched towards the trio.

"I paid you with all the copper I had! And you say my future is a stable boy?!" The leader, Devon, shouted as he then kicked the old ladies stomach. "I'm destined too be a swordsman damn it!"

"Enough Devon!"

The trio stopped and turned around. The three of them were a head taller than Arthur. They grinned, turning their attention to Arthur.

"Well if it isn't the Scrawny Bastard?!" Devon taunted as he walked up to Arthur, puffing his chest out. "What, you want some too?"

"You shouldn't be hurting people." Arthur didn't falter as the other two approached his sides. "It's wrong. She can't even defend herself. What would your father-"

"Don't you dare talk about my father!" Devon roared, punching Arthur across the face and knocking him down into the mud, along with his bread. Arthur pushed himself up only for Devon to step on his head, smashing it into the mud. "Like you know what a father is! Your's didn't want you from what I hear! Your just the bastard of a dead king! I wish Vortigern comes here so he can kill your sorry ass!!!"

Arthur didn't say anything. He only kept his eyes closed and listened to the insults. Nothing new, just repeats of every day bullying. Not seeing any sign of resistance, Devon got off of Arthur, spit on him, and left. His two friends following behind.

"Are you alright?" Arthur asked as he stood up and walked over to the lady, helping her up.

"Yes I'm fine child." The woman lifted her head, revealing her face wrapped in bandages. "Thank you for the assistance...?"

"Arthur." He said, taking a small step back from seeing the old lady's face. Looking down he noticed the woman's feet were replaced by peg legs. "Here, let me help you gather your things." He said, bending down and picking up random trinkets and putting them back in their box's.

"Arthur." The old lady repeated with a tilt of her head, watching Arthur pick up her belongings. "An odd name for one such as yourself."

"Why's that?" He asked, still gathering up the trinkets.

"Because it's a boy's name." Arthur stopped and looked up at the lady. About to say something, he was shushed by the lady, who winked. "But it's the same, no matter what. Why don't I repay you with a gift, as thanks for driving off those brats?" The old lady said as she reached into her cloak.