Ch 38

"Ar.....Arto.....ria?"

Guts eyes widened upon noticing what was reflecting the torches light. He had gotten closer to the reflection and saw Artoria, naked wearing only her helmet, now rusted and lacking any color. But that's not what horrified him. On Artoria's back, he could see part of her spine sticking out, her entire body riddled with scars.

"Guts, what's wrong—" Mordred stopped as her and the others approached. Her eyes widened in horror upon seeing Artoria. Kay and Ector looked in horror at the state of their family member, as Lancelot covered Guinevere's eyes.

"ARTORIA!" Guts shouted as he ran over to her, tossing the torch to Kay. He kneeled down beside her limp body and turned her over, holding her. His horror only grew as he saw the wounds on the front of her body.

She was malnourished, lacking any muscle. Her breasts lacked nipples, dark dots of infected flesh being in their place. Her rib cage could be seen in the malnourished form, strips of skin missing in places. Guts noticed the wounds on her legs and arms, lifting one of her hands and bringing it closer to get a better view.

"Her arm and leg tendons were cut......she couldn't fight back." He spoke to himself. He looked back up at Artoria's face, seeing her mouth open through the helmet's visor. "Her tongue too....."

"Guts......is she....." Kay whispered as he took a small step forward.

"NO! STAY BACK! GET THE HELL AWAY!" Guts halted Kay in his tracks. He didn't want Kay to see her like this, it would crush his soul. When he looked down at her rather bruised, but unharmed womb, Guts's jaw nearly fell off. ".....you don't need to see this."

Letting her lay against his knee, Guts reached for Artoria's helmet. He gently pulled it off and nearly puked at the sight. Artoria barley had any of her hair left, scars and burn marks along her face. She was missing an ear, part of her upper eyelid on her left eye was missing and allowed a small part of her eye to be seen. Part of her upper lip was missing as well, leaving a small triangle that revealed a tooth. He put her helmet back on, not out of disgust, but to protect her.

"That can't be...." Guts said in a hushed tone, tears forming in his eyes. The knights could hear his pain, feeling odd about hearing Guts cry. "This can't.......be.....Artoria..........it can't be...."

"......no." Guts looked up and saw Ector kneeling across from him. The old warrior has never looked so broken, his eyes widened and his mouth opened. ".....no......no no no no no no no no.......not my baby girl."

Guts looked back down and his tears stopped.............Artoria had begun opening eyes. She stared up at Guts, her eyes slowly widening.

"Tsh..." was the only sound she made, gaining Ector's attention.

"Artoria!" Ector called out to his foster daughter. But she seemed unfazed, almost like she was ignoring him, only focusing on Guts.

She slowly lifted her right hand up, wobbling as she did so. Guts and Ector could only watched breathlessly as she slowly reached up and placed her hand on his throat. She grunted as she did so, Ector could only stare as Artoria held onto Guts's throat.

Guts teared up again, pulling Artoria into a hug. Her grip on his throat loosened and she let go as she felt his warm embrace. Her eyes slowly closed as she felt his tears pour onto her face through the visor. She slowly moved her hand down and placed it over his bicep as she leaned into the embrace.