Ch 31

Guts grunted as sunlight hit his closed eyes. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, winching as he grabbed his shoulder. Feeling the lack of armor, Guts opened his eyes and looked down.

He was laying in a bed, his shirt and jacket was gone. His shoulder, chest, arms, and legs were all wrapped in bandages. The only article of clothing left on him was a new pair of pants.

'The hell am I?' He thought to himself as he looked around the room. Stone made up the walls and roof of the room, and not the kind that castles were made of, this was pure stone, like a cave and a small red piece of cloth covered the entrance of a doorway. A small crack was in the roof, letting sunlight through and shining down at Guts.

'Gotta get outta here.' Guts grunted as he pushed himself up. He got up from his bed and held his shoulder as he made his way to the entrance. On the fifth step Guts fell over, landing on his knees. He wrapped his arms around his chest and gritted his teeth. "Damn....it!"

"GUTS!"

Looking up to the sound of a voice, Guts was immediately tackled into a hug by Erica. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled herself tightly against the hurting man, smiling in joy as he grunted from the sudden contact.

"Oh Guts, your alive! Your alive!" Erica shouted in joy as she hugged him tighter. "Grandpa was sure you'd die, but I didn't give up! No way! Erica never gave up on Guts!"

"Eh, good to see you too Erica...." Guts winced from the tightness of the hug. He slowly brought his right hand up to pat her back before she pulled away. "How.....how did we get here? Where are we? How are you still.....?"

"I'll explain later, but first you need breakfast!" The seven year old smiled as he stood up. She grabbed his hand with both of hers and began leading him to the doorway. Guts went along willingly, passing through the red curtain and walking down a hallway with torches lined up on the wall. "You'll feel all better after eating my soup! Erica's secret recipe!"

They soon came upon another curtain that hanged over a huge doorway. As they approached, Guts could hear the sound of steel hitting steel. As Erica led him past the curtain and Guts looked around the huge room, noticing that it was a cabin. At the center of the room was a campfire, a pot hanging above it. Off to the other side was a forge with swords, axes, spears, and warhammers stacked in wooden containers or just laying around and leaning against the wooden wall.

At the anvil, an old but small man was hammering away at a sword. He had long white hair and beard that reached past his shoulders. Guts could barley see it through the beard, but the man wore a brown apron.

"So, your finally awake

"So, your finally awake." The man asked as he kept hitting at the blade. The man's voice was gruff, matching his appearance. "Take a seat by the fire, breakfast is almost ready."