Ch 37

Three days later....

Outside of Camelot.
_________________

It was dark. The perfect time to act. Guts, Mordred, Lancelot, Kay and Ector walked through a graveyard. They passed multiple headstones as Mordred led the way.

"Mind telling me why we're in a graveyard?" Guts asked as he looked at a headstone, the name faded away from the cracks in the stone. "Camelot is right in front of us. Shouldn't we be going there instead?"

"There's a secret passage." Kay told him as a owl hooted. "Lancelot's inside man told him about it. Plus, a castle this big has to have a secret exit during war, common knowledge really."

"Can we trust the info though?" Guts asked. "What if it's a trap?"

"It's not a trap." Lancelot said with certainty as he looked back at Guts. "My source has never lied to me. I trust the info with my very being."

"Fine," Guts sighed. "But it won't be easy finding the entrance. If we somehow find it immediately I'll quit being a merc—"

"Found it." Mordred spoke up as she kneeled down in front of a headstone, rubbing a finger over a red ruby that was on the headstone. Guts looked down at Mordred with a confused look as Kay snickered.

"Retirement it is." Lancelot teased Guts who mumbled to himself quietly.

Mordred stepped away as Ector came forward. The old man placed his hands on either side of the headstone and with a grunt, ripped it out of the ground and threw it to the side, revealing a hole underneath that lead underground. Guts sometimes forgot just how strong the old man was, and chuckled when he imagined Ector meeting Godo.

"This is it." Mordred spoke as she looked down the hole, her keen sight helping her see a cobblestone floor down there. "Alright, let's go."

"Wait." Everyone turned to Guts as he spoke. When Mordred met his gaze he looked away like a child. "I get it sending me, Lancelot, Kay and Ector. But should you really be coming with us? Your the leader and if things go south....."

"It's not like we have much of a choice." Mordred told him as she estimated the drop. "We're the strongest ones out of all the loyalists. If we simply raid the castle we will fail. Saving Artoria is our top priority. I discussed it with Merlin and our team has the highest chance for success."

"Yeah but—!"

"Hey." Mordred silenced Guts, standing in front of him and poking his chest with her finger. Their faces were very close, and Guts could see the determination in her eyes. "Your worried.......aren't you?"

Kay and Ector blinked before looking back at Lancelot, who chuckled to himself. The purple haired knight stopped his chuckle when Guts glared at him in the corner of his eye.

"Questioning my orders? I'll have you know that you are a professional Merc as of now. Leave your personal feelings out of this and obey your superiors orders!.......besides," Mordred smirked as she backed away from Guts, turning her back to him as she gave a small smirk. "I can.....at the very least, watch your back."

".......yeah." Guts nodded his head, submitting to Mordred's command. He looked back at Lancelot who had a smug smile on his face. "Shut it Lancelot."

"LETS GO!"

Mordred ordered as she jumped down the hole, landing on the cobblestone down below. Guts and the others jumped down as well, Ector coming in last. They then began running down the tunnel, splashing the water with each step they took. The light soon began to fade away as they now ran through the darkened tunnel.