Ch 43

"Hey, what are you doing?"

Mordred asked as the flaps behind her opened up. Guts crawled out and sat down beside her, sword still inside the carriage.

"Oh.....just thought I'd ride out here for a bit." Guts said, eyes widening a bit as he saw Mordred. He averted his gaze, looking around for the others. They rode ahead of them, far enough to be outta ear shot.

"Everything alright?" Mordred asked him. He mumbled something in a dismissive tone, looking away from her. "You've been rather quiet as of late....."

"Why am I contained to the carriage?" He asked, avoiding the question. "It's been two days since we left. I'm positive I can ride a horse."

".......your the only one brave enough to look at Artoria." Mordred told him as she turned back to the road. Guts sighed as she went on. "Everyone's too afraid to look or even touch her. Your willing to bathe her and let her cuddle you for warmth. But stop avoiding my question."

Guts looked back at her. 'Our daughter....' Morgan's words repeated in his head. But she had to of been lying, right? Morgan had lied to them for ten years, this shouldn't be any different. But no matter how much he tried labeling it as a lie, a part of him knew Morgan spoke truth.

"I....." Guts stopped his sentence, hearing something echoing in the distance behind them. He leaned over and looked for the source of the sound, his eyes widening as he saw it. "....no."

A horde of warriors were chasing after them upon horseback. They wore similar garb and roared as they chased after them. Upon their spears was the dismembered bodies of the farm family.

"WE'RE BEING PURSUED!" Guts shouted out to the others ahead of them. Mordred's eyes widened before she whipped the horses, making them gallop faster. They soon caught up with the others.

"The black dog knights!" Lancelot exclaimed as he looked back at the pursuers. "The unit made out of criminals, what are they doing here?! Leondegrance would never send these guys after someone...."

".....Morgan did." Guts bared his teeth.

"Wait, I thought you killed her?!" Kay shouted at him. "Don't tell me you let her live!!!!"

"First a bunch of assassins, now them..." Mordred mumbled to herself as she leaned over and peeked at the approaching horde. "We must really be on mothers bad side......ECTOR, how far are we from the bridge?!"

"Not far!" Ector shouted back as he narrowed his eyes at the bridge. "But with how much distance we have between us and them, the trap can't be sprung."

"....what trap?" Guts asked Mordred

"We communicated with Merlin when we escaped Camelot. She said she placed a trap by the bridge ahead of us." She told him. "But we can't—AH!"

Mordred shouted as one of the riders snuck up beside her and swung his sword at her. Her armor thankfully blocked the attack. Guts bared his teeth as he reached into the carriage and grabbed his sword, before jumping over Mordred and kicked the rider off his horse, taking the steed for his own. He pulled on the reins, breaking away from the group.

"What are you doing?!" Mordred shouted as Guts turned his horse around.

"Buying you some time. Now go!" Guts said as he turned to the incoming wave of enemies. He gripped his sword's handle with a strained face. He was still sore from the escape from Camelot. "Huh?"