Ch 9

Arthur woke up with a yawn, sitting up and stretching his arms. It was a rather pleasant dream he had for some time now, defeating Vortigern and uniting Britain under his rule. But Arthur tells himself that one day, that dream will become reality. Hopping off the bed, Arthur made his way to the dresser, passing by the mannequin his armor was on, and started getting dressed. Putting on a blue tunic and white pants, he then put on his boots before grabbing Caliburn and strapping it to his waist. He then proceeded to go on his daily routine of walking through the campsite.

Arthur held his hands behind his back, smiling and nodding his head as he passed the soldiers who greeted him. All these men were taller than him, reminding Arthur constantly that Caliburn halted his aging. He eventually passed into Leondegrance's part of the camp, passing by his guards stationed around the area. He nodded to them as well, wishing them a good morning. He came to a stop and looked at Leondegrance's tent. The nobles, his advisers, were all ready making their way into the tent.

The one thing Arthur lacked: advisers.

Nodding to the guard in front of him, Arthur continued his path. Openly apposing Vortigern had made him a big target, thinning the people he could trust. He constantly relied on Ector and Merlin, but their expertise was in separate fields. A group of advisers, traditionally, were noble born or were an educated mage/priest. Every king needed them. Arthur looked down as he walked through the camp. Morgan would make for an excellent adviser, being a mage and noble, she could help deal with diplomatic issues. Only thing he saw bad about it was that Guts's attention would shift to Morgan.

And for some reason, it made the king's heart ache. It was no secret that Guts was attracted to Morgan Le Fay. Sure, he saw Guts deal with Merlin for the past 5 almost 6 years they've known each other, even seeing Guts's body "react" to Merlin's teasing. But no matter what Merlin did, Guts never gave in. Then along comes Morgan and Guts starts acting like a boy who discovered his crush.

'Does Guts like big breasted women?' Arthur thought too himself as he absentmindedly scratched his chest. Morgan was well developed in all the right places. Shaking his head clear of these thoughts Arthur looked up and smiled as he returned to his part of camp. Sitting by the fire was Guts, eating breakfast.

"Yo!" Guts greeted, waving his hand to Arthur. The king smiled as he walked up beside him and sat on the ground. Guts handed him a second bowl, which Arthur turned down. "You sure? Your usually hungry all the time."

"I'm fine." Arthur said, leaning back. "You know me Guts: I can go months without eating and still operate perfectly."

"Right, because your the Red Dragon's incarnation." Guts chuckled, setting aside the bowls. "You also have enhanced strength, speed, perception, and smell."

"Yep." He emphasized on the p as he grinned.

"Seems pretty unfair." Guts said as he leaned back beside Arthur on the green grass. "But then again, I guess you need it too fight Vortigern." Guts said as he watched the clouds.  "As a kid I heard stories about Vortigern. How he betrayed his brother and took the throne, allowing the saxons to invade the land."

"And how did that make you feel?" Arthur asked. Guts merely shrugged his shoulders.

"I didn't really care. Being raised in a mercenary band only taught me how to fight and survive." Guts spoke. "And honestly, if you didn't come along and recruit me, I'd have probably been fighting against you as one of Vortigern's mercenaries."

Arthur sat up and looked down at Guts with a smile. "Well, I'm glad it never came to that."

"CAPTAIN!"