Ch 14

Two weeks later after arriving at the castle of Cameliard.

——————————————-

Julius walked through the castle garden. This was one of the few places that could bring him peace of mind. His mother used to bring him and Leondegrance here and read them books, or, if she had no meetings to attend, would let them braid her hair. The only other thing that could calm his mind was listening to his niece sing, making him feel like his mother was reborn as Guinevere.

"Oh, did you hear about King Arthur?"

Julius stopped in place and peeked around the corner. Three maids who tended the garden stood together, gossiping to each other. Normally he wouldn't bother with such gossips, but hearing Arthur's name made him listen in.

"They say that thanks to him destroying the Saxon fortress, that our kingdom will help him in his campaign." One gossiped.

"But have you seen him?" Another asked. "He's very pretty! Even prettier than us, and we're women. It's frustrating!"

"He also treats his men like they're his own family." The third spoke with admiration. "And he's so much more refined and happy compared to the boring aristocrats here at Cameliard. It's quite pitiful if you think about it, a king who was raised as a commoner has more respect for his people than the nobles we serve."

"HEY MAID SERVANTS!" The three maids jumped as Julius revealed himself. "WHY ARE YOU THREE GOSSIPING INSTEAD OF WORKING?!"

The maids giggled before running off further into the garden. Julius sighed, he could never find it in himself to punish maids who were merely gossiping. 'Chirping Sparrows.' He thought to himself as he rubbed his forehead. He never lost his temper like that, but hearing the praises for Arthur only reminded him that by joining the bastard child in the rebellion would mean sacrificing the home he grew to love and protect.

"Such a loud shout will resound throughout the entire castle."

"Huh? Oh, Minister Foss." Julius spoke as he turned to the new man.

He was rather short, no taller than a child

He was rather short, no taller than a child. His clothes were nice and fine. He was bald and kept his eyes closed most of the time but had this constant tight lipped smile on his face.

"You seem most disturbed.....Prince Julius." The Minister Foss said with a slight bow. "Does something concern you?"

"It's nothing." Julius said with a turn of his head. The minister Foss peeked open his right eye, sensing the prince's discomfort.

"Incidentally Prince," Foss spoke up as he stood up straight. "Did you hear the debate about the king's guard for the upcoming Autumn hunt?"