Chapter 42

Chapter 42: The Normals, They Make Me Afraid

"Cissie, where should we start," Bellatrix asked. "I haven't had to shop for clothes in ages." For all Bellatrix knew, the stores she most frequented may not even be around anymore, it had been that long! As in, at least, ten years!

Their little group stood together in Knockturn Alley, having just Apparated in. Rhadamanthus hulked just behind them, looking vaguely ill from Side-Along Apparation with Rodolphus for the third time that day. Bellatrix couldn't quite explain how a spider could look vaguely ill when their expressions weren't easy to read, but he definitely did. Perhaps, it was that all eight of his eyes were drooping. Maybe, it was the fact that his mouth was slightly opened, or the fact that his breath appeared to be mildly labored. Idly, she considered asking if he needed anything, then decided not to bother. The spider was Rod's pet, or whatever, so he could deal.

"I enjoy BlackHeart Boutique," Narcissa said and Bellatrix nodded.

"Fine, lead the way."

"BlackHeart is a very stylish shop with a bit of everything from dresses to shoes to jewelry and purses," Narcissa said, speaking to Lyra as they walked.

"Perfect," Lyra said, smiling at her aunt. "I enjoy all of those things."

Bellatrix slowed, allowing Cissie and Lyra to walk a bit ahead. Rod kept pace at her side, and Rhadamanthus brought up the rear. Of course people stared at the sight of a huge spider walking calmly along with them, but not as much as she'd expected, honestly. No one even screamed! This made her wonder just how much shit went down in Knockturn Alley. They needed to hang about here more often. This alley where all Dark wizards went to find anything from a rare book on curses to a drink that would give you a very illegal, yet amazing, high had once been her favorite hangout. It was a little sad to consider how they'd had to give up their wild partying, brawling, and hexing ways thanks to Azkaban, and then the tight leash of Shadow Ops.

Going undercover had given them enough anonymity to party from time to time, but what was once a lifestyle for the Lestranges eventually became a luxury they could rarely afford. Even while partying over the past few decades, they had to keep a low profile. Disguise charms allowed them not to look like the Lestranges, but they had to be careful not to behave like themselves either. Taking such care tended to dampen a mood when one had to party on pins and needles, as it were.

Though freedom was definitely exhilarating, Bellatrix noticed that it could also serve to make one, namely her, a little anxious in open spaces. Walking down an open street, even in a place like Knockturn Alley, made Bellatrix feel mildly uneasy. She knew she should've felt eager now that they were free to walk about, but instead she was on edge.

Though she, Rod, and Rabastan were technically free for over twenty years, they'd still basically belonged to the Ministry. With undercover Shadow Ops being their lives, they were only free to an extent. Free to go out to a limited degree, and only if no one discovered who they were.

With the pardon from the new Minister, and Bellatrix's appearance in the new paper taken into account, she knew she should expect at least a slightly less hostile reception from the general wizarding public. Still, dealing with people on a normal level had become so foreign that it made her uncomfortable. Bellatrix and Rodolphus wore long green hooded cloaks in an attempt to keep a low profile. With any luck, everyone would pay more attention to the giant spider than the little humans walking along with him.

"Here it is," Narcissa said, waving at a sign that proclaimed it to be 'The BlackHeart Boutique... A shop for the black-hearted.'

"Will they give you and Mum a discount because you are both daughters of House Black, do you think," Lyra asked, and Narcissa giggled.