Chapter 132

Chapter 132: Unpredictable Predictability

While Arthur went with Millicent to do whatever it was that Gellert wanted involving Muggle technology, the Lestranges took themselves to Azkaban for another day of work. It felt so odd returning to normal, when nothing precisely felt normal. As they made the rounds, checking on all the wards, prisoners, and such, Bellatrix found herself wondering just what the hell normal felt like.

That led to thoughts of what was coming next. "Do you think those wizards without their magic will begin using Muggle contraptions to make their pathetic lives easier," she wondered, glancing first at Rod, then Rabastan.

"Probably." The voice hadn't come from Rod or Rabastan. Instead it had come from the cell they were passing. The cell in question held a thin, aging wizard with scraggly white hair and a beard to match. "Why are wizards without magic?"

Bellatrix glared, aiming her wand at the wizard. "Why are you bloody asking questions?"

"Same reason anyone does. Curiosity," he replied.

"Well, don't expect answers," Bella said darkly.

Even though the prisoners weren't ever getting out into the world to use any knowledge they may gain from having questions answered, there was no reason to take the risk of passing information to them needlessly.

"Did Delphini take the magic? You know, the one you tortured us not to help if she ever came asking?"

Bellatrix gave a hard smile. There was one bit of news she was all too pleased to share. "Not at all. And she's dead. We helped to do that."

The old wizard gave a congenial smile. "Good on you for that."

"Come on, Bella. We have the rest of the grounds to check, unless you're going to torture him," Rabastan said. "I'm getting bored."

As Bellatrix wasn't actually in the mood for torture, she nodded to Rabastan and the three of them continued their inspection. She was still adjusting to the aftermath of no more Delphini or traces of Voldemort, so she wasn't in the proper state of mind to enjoy a good solid torture session.

Mag would surely have some psychological term for it, but Bella was having a difficult time truly believing it was over, and that they were finally safe. She was happy and shocked at the same time and the mix was unsettling. On top of that, she wondered if there would even be time to process before the shit started to fly again.

"I wonder what the wizards without magic will do," she said again, returning to the conversation she was trying to have before the blasted prisoner had taken it upon himself to join in.

They were walking on the edge of the grounds near the water and so weren't close to any cells. As there were no Aurors in sight either, the chances of them being disrupted again were minimal.

"It will probably be something we'd never suspect rather than something we can predict," Rabastan said.

"We can predict it to an extent, but, in general, you're probably right," Rod said. "If we are very fortunate, they will rest on their laurels, and we will have proper time to integrate the changes before the magic starts to trickle back. This is possible due to the fact they've never had to do for themselves in the way they will have to do for themselves to cause a problem now. On the other hand, fear is a powerful motivator, and if they're frightened enough by all our changes, they will feel forced to change in response."

He glanced from Rabastan to Bellatrix. "Then Bella's concern could become relevant about them utilizing Muggle contraptions to either better their own lives or worsen ours."