Chapter 129

Chapter 129: The Purest Blood of All

While everyone explained more about magic and wizarding society to Arthur, Bella's mind kept playing over the conversation about wizards versus Muggles, and elves versus wizards. The symmetry was undeniable, but what the hell were they supposed to do with it?

They weren't just going to give Muggles the upper hand because wizards were also shitty. There were far fewer wizards, so less shittiness had to come from them as a result. It was simple math. Muggles were always, always going to be more of a problem. She opened her mouth to rant about that, then closed it again. Arthur had basically already said as much, so he'd probably not be arguing anyway.

The conversation strayed from history for a bit while everyone, but Bella, explained wands versus wandless magic to Arthur, and how the wand chose the wizard unless Mag Snape made them one.

It was Rod who returned to the topic of history, picking up with the founders of Hogwarts creating the school after the last wizarding versus Muggle war. He told of the American school as well since Arthur was American. Then he touched on Durmstrang and the other European schools.

"There are magic schools in most countries," he concluded.

"It's fascinating that there is so much hidden in plain sight," Arthur marveled. "I mean, I knew there were things that exist that I can't see, like ghosts. I just never considered magic to be one of those things. When...we Muggles read of magic or watch stories about it on TV, it's called fantasy, because it all seems so wonderful. It doesn't seem anything but dangerous right now, though the fast travel is really nice!"

"Magic is just a way of life for us, but the few times I've had to venture out and exist, even for a moment, like a Muggle, it most definitely seems wonderful," Bellatrix said. "It allows us to do things far easier and faster for one thing. For another, it allows us abilities that Muggles will never possess, such as invisibility."

"Too right," Rod agreed, nodding fervently.

"Invisibility," Arthur breathed. "Yeah, that is a good one."

"And life extension, all sorts of neat creatures, and preserving ancient books," Hydra was quick to add. "I could go on and on. For us all that is normal, but that's why Muggle life seems so horrifying."

"Fine, fine, magic is great," Arthur conceded with a chuckle. "Point taken. Just the bits where wizards even go after one another and other magical creatures made it look not so enticing for a minute."

"Why," Hydra asked. "Muggles do the same, as we've already established."

Arthur nodded. "Yes, but wizards have ways of doing it that I could never combat so I feel unsafe when I think on it for too long."

"Yeah," Rod nodded. "There is that. A good thing you have us to keep you safe, then."

Arthur nodded back, grinning at Rod. "Too right."

Hydra picked up the history lesson by expounding on the various Dark Lords who'd risen to power over the centuries. "The last few were Grindelwald, who you met today, Voldemort, who we're about to get into, and Delphini I guess, who we just killed the hell out of."

"Spoken like a Slytherin, even if you are a Ravenclaw," Rabastan told Hydra with a pleased grin.

"I killed faster than my Slytherin brother when we did simulations in Defense class at Hogwarts," Hydra bragged proudly.

"Damn, we never got kill simulations in Defense class," Rabastan complained. Rodolphus and Bellatrix nodded in glum unison.

"School has become far more productive," Regulus said with a pleased smile. "After Voldemort, more of us parents on the board pushed for a bit more practical knowledge against serious threats."