Chapter 52

Chapter 52: Of Connections New and Old

The group in the library engaged in light small talk, sipping at their drinks idly while awaiting dinner.

"Where is your dad," Bellatrix asked Rodolphus. He was with them helping to ward the Black manor, so she'd expected he would stay to dinner.

Rod shrugged. "He was talking with Valdez when we left. I'm sure he's around somewhere."

Corvus Lestrange chatting up Aurors was...different, and Bellatrix planned to ask him about it at dinner to satisfy her curiosity.

The door to the library eased open and Orb, the Black family house elf, poked her head in to peer around the room. "If everyone is ready to eat, dinner is arranged in the dining room," she said quietly.

As the elf spoke, she studied Grindelwald with open interest. Being possessed of proper breeding, she did not linger, however. Instead, she bowed and withdrew when Cygnus nodded. Seeing quiet little elves like the one she'd grown up around only made Kreacher stand out more for Bellatrix. Even in the old days, he'd gotten on with his precious Regulus far better than with other elves. In fact, Kreacher was known to get into physical scraps with other elves that involved vicious ear pulling and head thumping if he ever had to share a kitchen for any sort of family gathering.

"Well, you heard the elf. Let's go eat!" Cygnus rose from his chair and moved toward the door. Everyone else rose to follow, and Bellatrix suddenly felt surreal. Dining with her family and Grindelwald should've felt amazing! It should've made her feel important and on top of the wizarding world! Her younger self would've shrieked with glee to know this day would come. Hell, she may not have even bothered to follow Voldemort if she'd known that Grindelwald would be in her future.

Then again, this current version of Grindelwald was entirely too comfortable and too disinterested in getting rid of the damned Muggles. Of course, he'd claimed back in his early years not to hate the Muggles, but everyone with a brain knew that was complete rubbish! Muggles were the reason they were forced...even MADE to hide, so, of course, he hated them!

Corvus stood with Druella at the dining room door chatting and obviously waiting for the rest of them.

"What were you talking to Aurors about," Bellatrix asked her father-in-law with an arched brow.

Corvus shrugged. "I volunteered my services if they need help with other warding, or hexing securities, or even research. I'm retired, and sometimes I grow restless. I begin to feel, at such times, that I should be doing more. And with us, perhaps, approaching another bloody war, I have decided to make myself useful in any way I can."

"So long as it doesn't involve you being in direct combat or placing yourself stupidly in danger," Rodolphus growled as the group entered the dining room.

Bellatrix couldn't help but remember how she'd torn the place to bits the last time they were here, and she almost felt bad for that now. To her relief, the elegant dining room looked completely undisturbed. That was good. What was done was done, and it didn't need to matter.

The table was set with cut crystal goblets of wine that sparkled in the light spilling from the chandelier. Ornate silver dinner plates were set with grilled salmon, roasted potatoes, and rice. The sight and pleasing aroma reminded Bellatrix just how hungry she was.

"You don't think I can fight," Corvus asked Rodolphus, mock punching his son on the arm before they took their seats.

Cygnus gestured for Grindelwald to sit at his right hand, and the blonde smiled slightly, inclining his head as he acquiesced.

Rodolphus scowled. "I didn't say that," he told his father. "It's just that I have enough going on without worrying about losing you."

"Yeah," Rabastan chimed in. "It'd be great if that didn't happen."

Corvus's eyes softened as he gave both of his boys a warm smile. "While I feel I could still hold my own, I wasn't going to throw myself into any battles. I know that I'm all you boys have left, and I'm not trying to go anywhere."

Rodolphus sighed in obvious relief as his expression relaxed. "Well...thank you."

Gellert smiled in fleeting amusement at Rod, his expression growing grave nearly at once. "I understand you well on that one. Our parents insist on helping, and we insist on keeping them safe, so it gets complicated." He gave Blaise a sidelong glance before returning his blue gaze to Rodolphus. "War is all about losses and as a result, it has us defending against worst cases when it comes to those we love." He sighed, spearing a piece of salmon with his fork. "The last time I did anything like this, I had no one to lose. Of course, I cared for my followers, and went well out of my way to keep them safe, but it isn't at all the same," he admitted.

"Yes," Corvus said. "Losing a follower hurts in its own way, but losing someone you truly know and love as your own will tear your heart out."

Bellatrix swallowed and glanced away like a coward, unable to face the pain in her father-in-law's eyes. She knew Corvus was speaking of his wife and the idea of losing Rod made her want to tear her own heart out. She knew she couldn't live without him, no question.

"Yes," Gellert said. "I can only imagine. I am sorry for your loss, Mr. Lestrange."

Corvus gave a tight smile, obviously attempting a brave face. It made Bellatrix want to hug him, but she knew that comfort may only open old wounds he was currently struggling to keep closed so she remained still.

"Thank you," he replied, giving Grindelwald a nod.

"Speaking of followers," Druella said brightly. It was clear she was trying to change the subject, and Bellatrix gave her mother a grateful look. "If you're looking to reconnect with any of yours, I could check into that for you. I assume that doing so yourself may be rather tricky, considering you're supposed to be dead," she told Grindelwald. "My aunt may know some people."

Gellert gave a slight smile, nodding. "Ah, yes. You were a Rosier, were you not, Lady Black?"

Druella nodded.

"Then I would very much appreciate that. As it stands, we need all the help we can get. If any of those who followed me once, are willing to stand with me against Delphini now, I would gladly have them."