Chapter 66

Chapter 66: The Unexpected Pitfalls of International Travel

"We won't be traveling directly to the French or American Ministries because Mr. Grindelwald does not want our activities traced," Bulstrode said. "When the two of you are ready, we will Floo to a transfer point before proceeding."

Bellatrix and Rodolphus exchanged a glance. "I'm ready when Bella is," Rod said. Bellatrix drained the last of her coffee and stood with a sigh. She had a feeling today was not going to be particularly thrilling, not to mention she was still processing the ton of weird Bulstrode had divulged about Jekyll and...Frank.

"I am also ready to go," Rhadamanthus said, scooting back from the table.

Bulstrode frowned. "Why?"

"Because I am their bodyguard," the spider replied firmly.

"I am afraid that today you will have to take the day off. We must travel under a cloak of subtlety, and with all respect, we can't manage that with a horse-sized bodyguard along."

Rhadamanthus gave him a belligerent glare before turning inquiringly to Rodolphus, who sighed and shook his head. "While I would feel better with you along, we shall have to do it his way this time. Enjoy your day off. You've earned a bit of a rest."

"If you are certain," Rhadamanthus said.

Rodolphus chuckled. "Well, no, but so it must be regardless."

"He can come with us to Azkaban if he wants," Lyra said.

"Lucky him," Bellatrix drawled.

Rod led the way into the library and gestured Bulstrode toward the fireplace. With a flick of his wand, the man set the logs ablaze, then extracted a pouch of Floo powder from his pocket. "First we're going to a place called La Magie in France."

"A magic shop," Bellatrix asked, interested in a bit of browsing if that were the case.

Bulstrode shook his head. "No. A printing establishment for magic books. Less fascinating, but also far less noticeable for entering the country undercover."

He extended the pouch of Floo powder to Rodolphus and when he took a pinch, extended it next to Bella. When she'd taken a pinch as well, he pocketed it and gave a business-like nod. Tossing his powder into the fire, he stepped up into the hearth. "See you there," he said, then stepped directly into the now green flames, shouting, "LA MAGIE!"

Rodolphus followed with Bellatrix close behind. They stepped out into a small stone room, empty save for the fireplace.

There wasn't a book in sight, but considering that books were flammable, she supposed it made a bit of sense. If people traveled in and out repeatedly, sparks could fly and potentially cause a problem. Bulstrode led them out into a larger room where pages were literally flying about, nesting themselves into open book covers that were stretched out in rows upon rows on long wide floor to ceiling shelves.

"You'll want to duck," Roger Bulstrode called before bending over and sprinting for the door. Though he looked rather silly, it was clear that if one walked upright through the storm of flying pages, they'd be likely to get many paper cuts. Smirking, Rod grasped Bella's hand and ducked. She followed suit and they ran like carefree children to join Bulstrode at the door.

"That was fun," Rod said as they walked out and into the Paris morning where a long black Muggle car was waiting. Bellatrix felt her eyes widening in shock that hastily turned to horror as Bulstrode moved to open the back door of the thing. He slipped inside before impatiently gesturing for them to follow. When neither moved, he leaned out of the still open door to glare.

"What is it?" he demanded.

"We don't do Muggle transport," Bellatrix said flatly, before making a disgusted face to better illustrate her point.

"I truly doubt Grindelwald expected..." Rodolphus began and Bulstrode cut him off with an annoyed snort. "Grindelwald has no idea how things work, and he did not ask, so we can only assume that he does not bloody care! Using limousines allows us to travel in style and comfort while not leaving magical tracks. This method has worked for centuries. We upgraded from very posh carriages to limousines in the thirties."

"This is stylish," Bellatrix asked, nose wrinkling as she gestured at the limousine car thing.

"Indeed," Bulstrode said, speaking through gritted teeth. "It beats walking by far. Now get in! The ride is only about fifteen minutes long."

"There appears to be no choice," Rodolphus said, and with a frown of distaste joined Bulstrode inside the limousine. Bellatrix drew in a deep breath and followed with a shudder. "I wasn't counting on engaging in bloody Muggle Studies today," she complained as she dragged the door shut behind her.

"Well, just think of it as one of those 'life is full of surprises' moments and smile," Bulstrode suggested.

Bellatrix and Rodolphus regarded him with matching wide smiles...that is, if one turned their expressions upside down, they would somewhat resemble smiles.

There was a partition drawn down between them and the elderly wizard seated behind the wheel. His expression was placid, and he did not even turn to glance their way. Bellatrix found this mildly odd until she noticed that he had a mirror near his face which allowed him to see into the back without having to turn. The long bench style seat on which the three of them sat was oddly soft and comfortable. When the car proceeded forward, it was with a surprisingly smooth gliding motion.

"You might as well sit back and relax," Bulstrode said.

Rodolphus took Bellatrix's hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. "We can shower as soon as we get back home," he said soothingly, and she nodded. "We shall most definitely have to."

No one spoke again until the car drew to a stop at the back of a building that looked to be constructed of gold bricks.

"The French Ministry for Magic," Bulstrode explained as he opened the door on his side and slid out, leaving it open for the Lestranges to follow. They exited the car quickly without looking back. Bulstrode led the way into the Ministry with confident strides, indicating that this wasn't his first time visiting the place. The Ministry was prettier than theirs, Bellatrix noted silently. It was all marble floors and attractive moving murals of nature scenes and magical creatures on the walls.

The place was full of witches and wizards bustling here and there, all speaking in French which Rodolphus understood perfectly, and Bellatrix had never bothered to learn more than a few phrases of.

"Roger! Over here!" A slender woman of average height and mousy, long brown hair waved at them from a corner before moving in their direction. Bellatrix noted that she wore British Ministry robes and her name tag was stamped with the same department as Bulstrode's. According to the tag she was a Bulstrode as well, Ali Bulstrode.

"This is my wife and travel partner," Roger introduced curtly. "In our line of work, it's safer and more efficient to partner in teams of two. And, of course, she knows well who you are, so we can skip all the basics of that."

"You met our daughter recently," Ali Bulstrode said with a smile. "Her name is Millicent Bulstrode Adler and she assists Mr. Grindelwald in technical matters with her Muggle computer laptop thingy-thing."

Bellatrix recalled the tall Amazon-like young woman who brought papers in reporting all the unusual Muggle activity. She'd referred to Delphini aptly as Snake-Baby.

"Yes, she was quite charming," she said.

"This way," Roger announced before setting off through the large lobby-like room.

"We report at that desk that we've arrived, and the Minister should see us soon," Ali explained, keeping her stride slower to keep pace with Bellatrix and Rodolphus. "We have an appointment, and they never keep us waiting for long."

"Well, that's something," Bellatrix muttered.

The desk looked to be made entirely of crystal. The French certainly did have style, Bellatrix thought as Roger spoke to the small witch with huge hair seated behind the desk. She smiled and handed Roger a silver tag.

"That is our hall pass," Ali explained helpfully. "It looks as if we don't have to wait at all! We can go directly in to see the Minister."