Chapter 136

Chapter 136: It's My Life

Juda Apparated them home, and Rod went directly to write Gellert about their gun concern.

"Juda lives at Gringotts, or rather under it, where the goblins rent apartments on many of the deeper underground levels," the elf explained. "But it's the Gringotts address where letters go, if the Lestranges ever wish to return to visit Arthur, they can write Juda there, and he will take them so long as he is not at work at the time."

Bella smiled, nodding. "Thank you."

It would be nice to return with the same person if they went to see Arthur again. That and she supposed she'd taken a bit of a liking to the elf Auror. He seemed to have a good solid head on his shoulders. Besides, they'd all had a crazy bonding experience with being surrounded by so much insane Muggle activity.

"Juda likes Arthur, and all his odd contraptions are interesting," the elf said.

Bellatrix bit back a tart comment regarding Muggle contraptions, because what was the point, and besides, she was tired. What with traveling between five hour time zone differences, she felt Apparation lag on top of the generally long day.

"He seemed to like you too. Perhaps the two of you can hang when he moves here," Rabastan suggested to the elf. "The more magical folk who learn about any Muggle shit at all, the more on our game we will be if magicless wizards indeed begin using it."

Juda nodded, his expression thoughtful. "Very well. Do keep Juda up to date on any new developments on that front."

"Will do," Rabastan promised.

Juda gave a slight bow. "Until next time, then. Goodbye."

"Goodbye," Bellatrix and Rabastan said as the elf Apparated away.

"It's been a damn weird day," Rabastan complained. "I need a drink. You want one?"

Bellatrix considered for a moment before shaking her head. She followed Rabastan into the library anyway, slumping into the chair nearest the door. Idly she watched as he poured himself a drink.

"You want one, Bro," he asked, glancing over to Rod where he was writing Gellert.

"No thanks," Rod answered distractedly. "Harold!" he called. "Could you take this letter to Gellert's place? I want him to see it right away."

Harold Apparated into the room with a crack. "Certainly," he said, taking the letter.

"Thanks," Rod said. He smiled gratefully at the elf and passed the letter over.

Harold nodded in acknowledgment and vanished with a crack.

Bellatrix stared after him then gave her head a slight shake to clear it.

"Is everything alright, babe," Rod asked, a note of concern in his voice.

Bella turned in his direction, forcing a tired smile. "I'm fine...I think." Always best to put that in there just in case she realized she was upset later or something. "I was just thinking that elves make life so much easier...but that's because they're so much more powerful than we are. That's how they make things easier, yet all of us somehow managed to overlook that for centuries upon centuries. Of course it's easier when it comes to elves like Dobby who often appear nearly simpleminded if we're being honest, but not all elves are like that. Harold isn't simple. Perhaps overly restrained and not really interested in most things that wizards are, but that is hardly the same."

Rod blinked. "So you're sure you're okay?"

Bella chuckled self-consciously, giving Rod another smile. "I'm fine. It's just...now I can't forget what I know. After my article is widely read, I hope no one else can either. It just feels so...dependent of us to rely on them the way we do."