Chapter 123

Chapter 123: The Once and Future Muggle King

"Speaking of diplomatic clean up," Rodolphus began. "There is the matter of the Arthur fellow."

"Who," Bellatrix and Kereston asked in unison.

"The bloke who lent you his car, Bella," Rod explained. "He says his name is Arthur. He started talking to me and Rabastan when you and Gori were speeding over Delphini followers in his car."

"Yeah, he could tell we knew you because we were trying to get as close as possible, and bitching that we couldn't Apparate into the car when we tried to join you lot. Good going on blocking that sort of spell on the fly, Gori. Impressive shit," Rabastan added. "Back to the Muggle, though. He was exposed to our world, but I still don't think we should Obliviate him. It just wouldn't feel right. For one thing, it seems unnecessary. He's handling things pretty well."

Rod nodded in calm agreement with his brother. "He seems a solid sort."

"Yeah, and considering there's supposed to be a Muggle version of the nearest thing to Arthur here, and his name is actually Arthur," Rabastan enthused. "I mean, Arthur knew about magic back then so our Arthur should probably be allowed to know about it now. Perhaps he can even be useful sorting out this current mess."

He turned to Kereston. "You did say there is much diplomatic cleanup to be done, in both magical and Muggle sectors alike. He could probably help."

Kereston's lips twitched. "Repeating my words to me just like a talking raven," she teased and Rabastan grinned, nodding.

"Damn right. I listen and repeat."

The amusement faded from Kereston's small face, a thoughtful frown taking its place as she considered. "And you think this Arthur will be willing to assist us?"

"He appears to have the temperament for it," Rodolphus said. "The intelligence too."

Bellatrix shot her husband an incredulous look. He was speaking relatively highly of a bloody Muggle. Recalling the calm steady way the man had handed over his car had her considering, though.

"When I told him I needed the car and asked how it worked, he answered my question at once and readily. I recall that he looked a bit shocked that he did, which I found interesting. I used no magic to compel him in any way, mainly because I was too focused on the car to think about it, though I certainly would have had he not given me the information quickly.

"My point is he answered me willingly and looked surprised so...perhaps fate was moving him. If he is the true Arthur, here while Merlin and Nimue are a world over, or even if he is just a near version of Arthur, he was moved to play his part. He was chivalrous enough to stop when I waved him down while many other crass Muggles simply ignored me and sped by. His actions at least seem to be the sort of which King Arthur would approve."

Rod nodded. "Yeah, we thought about that, and it appears to be the case if you take into account his reactions to magic, elves, and all the killing he was seeing."

"What were his reactions," Kereston asked. Her blue-gray eyes were alight with curious interest. Bellatrix was just as intrigued to know that answer.

"Well, he asked if the goblins and elves were aliens or demons," Rabastan said with a chuckle. "He was interested, though, not frightened as one might expect."

"What did you tell him," Kereston asked.

Rabastan chuckled. "We told him they were goblins and elves, of course. We don't know anything about demons or aliens, after all."

"Unless you count bloody Dementors," Bellatrix murmured with a shudder.

Rodolphus chuckled. "Too right," he agreed.