Chapter 6

Aki sat on the windowsill, gazing down at the adjuscent garden. One leg pulled up on the sill to rest an elbow on the knee, the other lightly swaying absentmindedly, where it didn't touched the floor.

Three days, he was confined in the room for three days and there was not even a peek of outside world rather than from this window. Not even Mira was permitted entry, just one kitchen maid three times a day to provide his meals.

A dark bruise shadowed his face, barely faded. His fingers grazed along it, smiling to himself, eyes following a chirping bird, wondering how free it could be to fly.

The light creak of the opening door drew his attention. He turned his head, suddenly aware that he had yet to bother with robes and was just standing in his under tunic, trousers and one under robe.

Seeing who it was, he rose to his feet, the small smile long gone.

"Brother," he greeted, not a hint of emotion to color his voice.

"Prince consort," Ruth bowed, not low enough, but Aki allowed the small petty satisfaction.

Ruth sweeped a look over his brother's head to toe, noting the bruise over his cheekbone, standing out dark against the pale skin, loose hair that flowed around him like a curtain and underdressed state.

"Get dressed Prince Consort, you have been summoned to the investigation office."

"I was under the impression of you being my husband's guard, are you an escort now? Change of professions?" Aki allowed a small smile to bloom.

"I do not see how what I do and do not is any of your concern Prince Consort, but I'd ask, would you rather be dragged there in chains by guards, or will you walk with me?" Ruth raised a brow.

"Ah, so a small mercy for your brother, yes?" Aki asked.

"Whatever might help you feel better Prince Consort, let's go. Come quietly and you will have your dignity left intact." Ruth almost sneered.

"As if the whole palace might not already be blowing up with rumors and conspiracies?" Aki asked.

"In truth, no, your highness, no one is to know of what had transpired. Under the fear of banishment or execution." That was definitely a sneer when Ruth pronounced 'your highness'.

"Fear can only prolong something so far, my dearest brother, have you not heard that even walls have ears? It is unfortunate that mine seems to be a bit more.....deaf than any...." Aki trailed off, turning to his closet.

"Say, Ruth, do your brother a favour and tell me what this is all about? What am I being accused of?" Aki asked, fitting a robe over his under clothes and tightening  a cloth sash, a deep blue embroidered in silver to match the light blue of his robe, around the waist.

He didn't bother with his hair, just letting it lie open and instead fixed a silver belt over the sash.

"I know that underhand is not one of your specific talents brother, but do I really know you, I'm curious," Ruth contemplated.

"Be more specific Ruth, you only make me more muddled." Aki asked, adjusting the long sleeves to fall properly along his arms.

Ruth shook himself off, as if he was talking to himself, not realizing of talking aloud.

"You will see,"

"I will not take a step out of this room till I know what I have done wrong," Aki replied stubbornly, fixing both hands behind his back and staring straight at Ruth's eyes.

"You are accused of poisoning Lord Zeke." Ruth replied uncaring, watching in satisfaction Aki's brows jump to his hairline.

"Excuse me?!" Aki asked.