Chapter 8

"Your majesty?" Aki asked.

"Yes Prince Aki, you both need to learn the joy of matrimony, now, I know my son had not visited your chambers since marriage, which will be rectified soon.." the queen said with a stern glance at Yeran which turned to a sweet smile when her face turned to Aki,

"And you must learn to get along,"

"I...if his highness..." Aki stuttered, seeing the murderous expression on Yeran.

"Sh...to have the future king and imperial consort at odds is neither good for the kingdom, nor for the reputation of inner palace, you must learn to be an example to all families out there, showing a united front all the time." Queen interrupted.

"Yes, your majesty," Aki accepted, helpless.

"We shall take our leave now mother, it is getting late," Yeran said, standing, for he felt about to blow up if they were to hold any longer.

"Very well, remember what I said children," the queen permitted with a last warning.

With a respectful bow, they both took their leave.

"Argh!!!" Aki jumped at Yeran's sudden yell.

Yeran paid him no mind but to grab his wrist and haul him after, Aki almost tripping with the sudden yank.

"Your highness!" He exclaimed, startled.

"Be quiet! I'm not in the mood."

As if suddenly realizing something, Yeran stopped. His eyes wanderd and found the target, before immediate averting. Aki barely preventing from crashing on to him.

"Did you put my mother into this Prince Consort? Was this a ruse of yours to get closer to me," Yeran asked, pulling Aki uncomfortably close.

He tilted his head and saw Aki's eyes jump there and return instantly.

Standing on a stair he towered over Aki, who hunched back, in the pretemse of unable to be released from the tight grip.

"Your highness," Ruth's voice of warning rang low but clear, as if reminding Yeran that they are in public.

"Fuck!" Yeran cursed before letting Aki go. He stumbled a step back, eyes opened wide.

Yeran turned on his heel, stomping on his way resembling a toddler throwing a tantrum.

¤¤¤

"Well, Aki, here we are, alone at last, whatever might you want to do?" Yeran quipped, sarcasm dripping in his voice.

"I..am tired your highness, may I retire for the night?" Aki barely waited for a reply before making a hasty retreat towards the bathing room.

"Ha! Ha ha ha ha ha....!" Yeran laughed, amused.

By the time Yeran returned, dressed in night wear, Aki seemed already in a deep slumber, lying on his back, breaths steady and silent.

Yeran took the time to observe. In sleep Aki's face was peaceful, rose red lips slightly parted, dark brows artfully arched, standing out against the pale skin, lashes fanning over high cheekbones.

Though signs of beauty, they did not made Aki look pretty, but rather, handsome, it did not deviate his looks to the side of androgynous, saving the statuesque face of a young male.

Yeran sighed. "What am I to do with you Aki,"

¤¤¤

Days passed, then weeks, the Prince and the Consort in a barely contained stalemate, both keeping out of each other's ways, minding their own business.