Chapter 24

"He's not alone," Zeke whispered.

"Hmm..." Yeran hummed, standing straight.

"Sorry for no prior warning," Ruth said.

"We thought you might not be so open to a lone conversation if my presence was indicated." Aki explained.

Yeran raised a brow.

"I'm not alone, you asked for Zeke as well?" He questioned, guards up.

It was very unusual for the two brothers to even be in the same room without being at each other's throats, much less have a conversation.

"You trust him, and we need allies, the more, the better," Ruth said.

Yeran hummed.

"Come, this might be a long conversation, we should get comfortable." Ruth added.

They all followed him through the backdoor of the building they were standing near, almost sneaking upstairs.

The place was brightly lit, grandly decorated, music, giggles, songs and merriment abundant in air.

"This is a music home, are you certain we won't be overheard?" Yeran asked.

"Sometimes the most obvious places are the most overlooked as well," Aki replied.

They entered a private room, the table already heavy with refreshments.

They took seats, ignoring the snacks and drinks.

"Start talking," Zeke ordered.

Aki narrowed his eyes at him, but didn't said anything.

"I hope you are aware that king Dilherra is trying to kill you," Ruth asked.

Yeran's brow twitched.

"Everyone is trying to kill me, it's nothing new, having enemies is part of being a prince." Yeran replied uncaringly.

"Also, why have you two suddenly turned traitor? Aki I get, you hated your father, but what of you Ruth?"

"He is not our father," Aki said, so very casual as if discussing weather.

"Excuse me?"

"King Dilherra, or, Yor Derhan, was never our father, he was the high general of Dilhevia, 20 years ago."

"What, are you speaking or Aki, is this another ploy of yours?" Yeran snapped, unimpressed.

"If I had wanted you dead Prince Yeran, you would have been dead." Aki's humorless voice had no deception.

Yeran furrowed his brows, shooting a glance at Ruth.

"He speaks the truth your highness, you dying was never in the plans," Ruth clarified.

"Hold on, I don't particularly understand what is going on here, what plan, why are you two awfully chummy out of the blue?" Zeke interrupted.

"We never really were enemies Lord Zeke," Ruth admitted.

The two brothers shared a glance. Aki took a breath while Ruth sighed, just as deep.

Yeran narrowed his eyes.

"Start from the beginning, and start making sense!" He ordered.

"The start, would be when we were around fifteen?," Ruth glanced at bis brother from clarification. Aki nodded.

"It was at then we met an old, retired lieutenant of the army. Someone from before we were born.

He took one glance at Aki and almost prostrated on the ground before we stopped him. And then started crying of how he had never suspected the queen of infidelity.