Chapter 20

"Your highness, your grace," General Ming Yan bowed in difference, eyes scanning the crown prince and the Consort subtly.

The crown prince nodded his head in acknowledgement while the prince consort smiled and inclined his head.

Ming Yan felt uneasy, for all the boy, the 'young man', he corrected in mind, is to be the future queen in official terms, he is an outsider, his features more than enough proof, standing beside his highness.

'Is it wise?' He asked himself, to bring an outside force where they are about to be locked in a battle with another force?

Ah well, he never understood politics, or he would have already been promoted to at least closer to the main city instead of being left to marinate in a border.

"We are honored to receive the both of you, your highness, your quarters have been prepared." Ming Yan swept a hand, indicating for them to follow.

"Thank you, it has been a long journey, I'm certain Prince Consort will appreciate some rest. Till we get settled, summon all the highest officers that can be spared, I would like to speak with them." Ming Yan didn't expected their young prince to have that much authority in his calm voice.

"Yes, your highness," he bowed, gesturing some guards to do as ordered.

With his back turned he failed to see the withering glare the Prince Consort send to the Crown Prince or the answering mocking smile of him.

"These two chambers were prepared for your highnesses, I apologize if anything were to be amiss your highness, we only received the missive yesterday." Ming Yan said, the two rooms sitting side by side.

Originally his order was to prepare one,  but realizing that most upperclass wedded couples slept in separate rooms ordered to prepare another. 

"Please do not trouble yourself, General, we understand that this is nought a vacation," The Consort spoke for the first time, a lilt of an accent in his voice, surprisingly deeper than he thought, but pleasant.

A small smile graced his lips which put the General at ease, his worry of offending the foreign Prince and causing an international conflict fading.

"Yes," Crown prince nodded in agreement.

"Why don't you retire for the night, Aki? I must speak with the officers to discern a path for advancing.

"Yes, husband, have a good night"  Prince Consort smiled, giving a small bow and shutting the door behind him.

Seeing that neither giving any response at seeing two rooms Ming Yan realized his assumption to be correct.

"Lead the way, General..." The crown prince trailed off.

"Ming Yan, Your highness, please, this way,"

His highness gave a nod.

¤¤¤

"There are no movements from troops your highness, nothing that can be detected as odd at least, but the amount of trespassers have greatly increased with the past two months. Originally we thought it was just civilians fleeing from the drought that has been plaguing Mehera for the past year, but we got suspicious that this continued even after rainfall." It was 2nd officer, in charge of gathering information and keeping records.

"Have any of these trespassers been allowed to pass through?

"No your highness, none, they were kept for questioning and imprisoned for a month for retribution and released to their own kingdom." Ming Yan answered.