II. Chapter 12

"Ruth!" Though Aki had retained enough clarity to not shout, his voice was bordering on panick and definitely alarmed when Ruth was caught in his gaze.

The boy was pale as a sheet, his lips bloodless and eyes drooping with exhaustion. At Aki's call, he looked up. He smiled, lightly, which then turned into a grimace when jostled at the next step.

Aki was there in a flash, gripping Ruth by the free hand not around Zeke's shoulder to brace for balance.

"I told you we should not have...."

"Scold me later, let's get out of here first," Ruth cut him off squeezing his hand in reassurance.

"I'm fine brother, it's just some scratches,"

"Scratches!" Aki hissed.

"You are bleeding enough to create a fountain, idiot," Zeke quipped up, deadpan.

Ruth's eyes lifted up to Yeran, pleading for a savior.

"Okay, okay, enough, you two can nag and fuzz over him as much as you want, after we leave,"

For all his bother, Yeran was only rewarded with two equally venomous glares. He shuddered, shrugging at Ruth in helplessness.

...

When the alarm bells started ringing, the quartet had already reached where Zeke had arranged for their horses to be, the few soldiers they had encountered on the way not harder to be dealt with than some common thugs.

"We need to hurry," Zeke said.

"Yeran, go back," Aki ordered.

"What?! No!"

"Yeran, right now, we cannot afford to start a war with Yor. Your father is not even aware of the liberties we have taken. A war is right where this would lead to if we continued on our course." Aki explained.

"He's right Yeran, Yor has absolutely no reason to have a suspicion on you for the moment, but if you were to go missing the same time his prisoners did, he would know and all our plans will go down the drain."

"But," Yeran started to protest, to which Zeke cut him off with an insistent,

"Go, Yeran, we will be fine, let's gather at the meeting point."

Yeran took a deep breath, calming his raging thoughts down.

"No, not there, Yor might still find me suspicious and send spies after me, you go there, and be safe, I will send you a massage when I'm on the clear,"

Aki and Zeke nodded.

"I'll take Ruth, I don't thunk it's wise to led him ride on his own, Aki, take my bow and arrows, you are the best shooter, we will need that," Zeke took charge, urging the others to hurry along.

"Stay safe," Yeran prayed, staring after the disappearing figures and vanished into the shadows moments before Dilherran soldiers came charging down.

...

Yep, I know that's too short, but I needed to cut the chaps so I can start next part in a new one, it's also out, so, don't stop here....

Arkhane.

That's literally what happened, or I'd have paced them differently 

😅😅