II. Chapter 9

"Look who is home," Yor Derhan jeered, looking down from his perch on the Delhevia throne.

"You look well, son,"

"Why, of course I had to, after your cordial invite, how could I not?" Aki smiled, cloying sweet.

Yor behaved wisely to ignore him.

"Yeran Avos, I admit, I had my doubts. My spies were not painting you in a good light. I would have you know, I truly thought you were falling for this...beast,"
Aki sneered when Yor's glance fell on him.

Yeran snickered. "How else were I to make certain I got everything I needed out of him? It was thanks to him Fewley and Rawul fell in the trap like the good little mice they are..," Yeran paused.

"Sorry, were," he corrected.

"Yes, I suppose you are right." Yor said, his tone flat.

Yeran smiled angelically.

"I would be expecting you to hold the end of your side of bargain, King Derhan, the sooner the better," he said.

"You did not hand me the other documents," Yor stood in objection.

"No, I didn't, I think I will hold onto them for a little longer, just so I can clarify that there will be no...misunderstandings." Yeran said, pleasantly smiling.

"Prince Yeran! Do not go too far!" Yor warned.

"Do you think you can just walk out in that manner after threatening me?!"

"Threaten you? Did I? All I did was remind you. Essentially, if all goes as we agreed, there would be no need of violence. I hope your majesty will understands," The Prince of Aved replied with a beatific smile.

"Now, if there is nothing more, I would like to take my leave. I do have to arrange the tragic demise of my darling spouse. By your excuse, of course, your majesty" the false aspect of respect from Yeran was giving even Aki the shivers.

"Stay the night Prince Yeran, I cannot possibly let you go with no hospitality. There will be a feast tonight. In honor of our alliance." Yor invited, changing the toot of his horn.

"If it is all the same, could you perhaps show me to my accommodation, where ever that may be, please? I grow nauseous of this warm...comradeship of yours," Aki drawled, interrupting them.

"You truly have grown a mouth boy, should you be running your words as such, knowing what I hold in my hand?" Yor hissed down at him.

Yeran watched Aki's fists tightening inside the sleeves, though his face remained the same serene mask, as if watching a sunrise, rather than facing the man who killed his father. And mother as well, if indirectly.

"The worst you can do is kill us," Aki said, unflinching.

"And why would I tell you what plans I have for them? You think me an idiot?" Yor laughed.

"Guards, do escort your Prince to his new chambers," he ordered, in disdain.

A guard, new one, as burly and boorish as a wild boar, grabbed a hold of Aki by his bicep, forcefully yanking him around to leave.

Just a few steps and Aki's head turned lightly to look over his shoulder. The eyes piercing, sharp and freezing at the same time, framed by the dark curtain of the lashes. A warning, an order.

The guard jerked him forward and the moment was broken, yet that look, that look was bound to haunt him for a lifetime. That last, single glance. It was more than words could describe, than any art can capture, than any statue could be sculptured.