Chapter 19

"We need to do something Zeke, we can't prolong this any longer." Yeran was pacing in his rooms, woring a path onto the carpet.

"Calm down, you are giving me a headache." Zeke said, unbothered, swirling a glass of wine.

"How can you still drink those?" Yeran inquired, dropping onto a chair infront of him.

"If you think a little of poison is going to deter me from enjoying a good glass of wine, you are gravely mistaken I'm afraid your highness," Zeke replied with an immensely serious tone.

Yeran rolled his eyes, put off with his antics.

"You didn't answer me,"

"We can't trust them." Zeke said.

"I'm aware," Yeran said, putting an elbow on the table to let his face rest on the palm.

"But it is not like we have much of a choice Zeke, we can't trust anyone,"

"But him! He's..." Zeke protested.

"I know! Alright, I know! But we don't have a choice." Yeran pressed.

"Why him of all people?"

"For one, he has no enough connections within the city even if he were to betray us. And second, who will believe him over us? Besides, is this not your plan from the beginning?"

"You do have a point," Zeke said, thoughtful.

"I had three points, if you cannot count." Yeran replied sarcastically which Zeke pretended ignorance.

"Do you truly think this is a good method of going forward?"

"No! This is not good, at all! But we have to"

"Fine! Whatever, but I am not picking up after you," Zeke said, standing.

Yeran went still, face snapping to a side, attention completely lost.

"Yeran?" Zeke asked, concerned.

Yeran quickly glanced at him, placing a finger against his lips in a shushing gesture. Zeke raised his brows and Yeran beckoned him close.

"Zeke...please, let me speak with my mother,"

Zeke's mouth parted in understanding.

He quickly responded,

"No Yeran, it would not be of use, your mother is too fond of your darling consort to ever agree with you," he let his voice curl around the world 'darling consort' in disdain.

"I cannot do this anymore Zeke, I am lonely here,"

"I know my love, please forgive me, there is nary a thing I am capable of doing in this situation," Zeke said, reaching out to hold one of Yeran's hands in both his.

"Zeke, I.." a soft knock interrupted Yeran's words, making Zeke let go.

"Come in," Yeran said.

"Your highness," it was Ruth who stood by the door, but he stepped aside, letting a servant through.

"Your highness, His majesty requested your presence in his majesty's office room." The servant quoted.

"My father? Why?" Yeran asked.

"Forgive this servant your highness, I am unaware." The servant bowed.

"I will be there," Yeran dismissed him with a wave of hand.

¤¤

"Father, you had me summoned?" Yeran bowed.

"Yes,"