Chapter 16

"Zeke!" Yeran almost toppled off the balcony in his excitement to finally see his beloved after almost a whole month.

Ruth subtly tugged on his short cape to prevent the disaster with no one else realizing, though his effort went to waste if the grimace on his brother's face was anything to be noted of.

"Careful, your highness," Ruth muttered, forcing Yeran to settle.

Aki quickly wiped off the displeased face, wearing a mask of polite appreciation to the colorful parade.

Royal hunt was a new tradition for both brothers, their culture not as much tournament based.

It was an annual tradition celebrated highly in the Kingdom of Aved, in the act of commemorating the king providing for the country. The more success the hunt brings in, the more people believed prosperity will strike that year.

Which also acted as of a festival for the people after the harvesting, working dual purposely as the harvesting festival as well, getting ready for the upcoming winter.

Ruth threw a glance around, noticing how even if the guards and parade is full of colours, all the knights as well as the crown prince, Prince consort and he himself had opted for black clothing. Even the king dressed in a light, black leather armor.

Yeran looked handsome and dignified, the rains of his war horse held in his hand and almost vibrating out of his skin, even if it was only visible to those who stare at his glittering eyes.

Ruth had chosen a set of robes with less layers, skirts slit in the front for easy movement and a leather vest over the top.

Aki as usual was dressed in long robes that brushed the ground when he walked, though he had also have pinned his sleeves inside a pair of bracers.

¤¤¤

Ruth watched, Yeran and Zeke's heads bent together in a conversation, both their faces lit with smiles, even if contained and keeping enough distance between them to maintain courtesy.

Zeke glanced around, his eyes catching on Aki, whose one hand running absent-mindedly over the flank of his own horse, the other spinning an arrow in a dizzying circle.

Zeke frowned, turning around to mutter something at Yeran, which he waved away. Seeming to be insisting, Zeke took a step closer, only for Yeran to laugh, shaking his head, dismissing whatever that caught Zeke's eye.

"Son," the Queen's voice came, an indication that Ruth had kept away for long enough, giving privacy to the lovers.

"Mother," Yeran inclined his head in a small bow while Zeke swept into a respectful one, the queen barely acknowledging him.

"Go to your husband Yeran, it is almost time, here's my wishing for a bountiful hunt, give my blessing to Aki as well." It was unmistakable how a look of displeasure passed over Yeran's face.

"But mother I have always hunted with my knights," he protested, voice low, not enough to draw another's attention and create a scene.

"True as that may be, this is your first traditional event as a newly married couple, a good opportunity to show our people how strong you are when united." The queen replied with a benevolent smile.

"Prince Consort said he is not willing to hunt, he may as well stay with mother," Yeran countered.

"What nonsense, Aki," The Queen's voice rose to reach Aki, who stood further, lost in thoughts.

"Yes, your majesty?" However lost he may have been in his own head, Aki had had no issue in hearing the slight stern edge to the Queen's voice.

The queen inclined her head in invitation, which Aki accepted, handing the reigns to a servant standing nearby.