shade.

K.J.H

I walk down the paddock of the Formula One track, following Pierre and Rachel. Angie was walking alongside me, on her phone taking photos- as per usual. The sun is scorching hot in Bahrain as it reaches midday, almost too hot. Qualifying doesn't start until this evening so as Pierre says "we have time to kill". Occasionally, he bumps into another driver with a simple fist bump or a nod. All this was so much to comprehend. The Formula 2 cars are currently on track for their practice sessions, which means that the noise volume is already high.

"you excited for qualifying?" the frenchman says, looking over his shoulder at us. I look over to him, but stay quite and let Angie chatter on about all the different people she's seeing, most knew her from the modelling industry. I  just smiled and nodded in respond. It was all very overwhelming. Not to forget the dreaded heat.

We make our way to the Alpine hospitality and took a seat at one of the tables. To my surprise, Pierre sat next to me, across from Angie instead of next to his own girlfriend. I didn't think much of it though as he gets up not long after having to leave for interviews. The silence after he leaves is lingering in the air, so is the cologne he was wearing. I wait until the awkward silence gets a bit too much before I quietly look up at them and let out a sigh.

"I'm going to go find somewhere out of the sun, its way too hot in here for me" I say, slicing the air like a knife. Angie looks at me with almost a help me look, her eyes like daggers. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself thinking of the situation I left her in as I walk out of the doors.

I wade my way in and out of the mass amount of people making their way through the paddock. Some working, some just fans taking photos. Whereas for me, I just want to get out of this heat. I eventually found an area down the side of one of the garages, hidden away enough that I wouldn't be seen by anyone. I sunk down in the shade leaning against the red walls, taking deep breaths in and out while fanning myself with my hand. The heat from the sun sat gently against my skin, the heat leaving my body as i sit in the shade. Unknowingly, I fiddle with the ends of my white dress, looping my fingers back and forth along the flowery pattern. I trace the patterns while my mind is engulfed with nothing. I lay my head back, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath when-

"are you okay there?" an unknown voice breaks the silence. I slightly jump, startled by the surprise.

"oh , i'm okay just escaping the sun for a moment" i return to the deep, but calming voice  as i turn to see who was there. "wait, you're-"

"charles. you are?" he interrupts, while walking closer to me and sitting down alongside me.  He lays his head against the wall and let's out a sigh, before turning his head to mine.

"Kera" I reply, only half concentrating to what i'm saying. My Australian accent seems to slip through, caught him by surprise I figured considered his eyes widened.

"Nice to meet you Kera. Who have you come along with?" he asks, referring to the paddock pass that's sitting around my neck.

"oh,  Pierre Gasly."

"wait, he told my his girlfriend was German, not Australian-"  he slips out abruptly, almost instinctively.  He pauses as our eyes meet. His green emerald like eyes   look at mine, I wasn't listening to a word he said. I'm going to blame that on the heat.

"oh! oh no, no no, i'm not his girlfriend- i'm  Pierre's friend, we met when we were young" I say rapidly before allowing him to jump to any false conclusions. I can tell he is thinking, I just don't know what about. It seems to be consuming him but not enough for him to zone out.