imola.

K.J.H
You never realise how important your legs and mobility is, until you lose it. I lay in bed almost every hour of the day. Due to me not being able to go to the gym, I had nothing to do all day, almost as if my purpose had been completely lost. However, I was not as upset as I was initially. I won the national championships and the season doesn't start until September, which by then I'll be able to walk again. So, I wasn't really missing anything other than training. I can make up for that though. I decided I'd use this time to focus on myself and take a break from gymnastics to better myself temporarily.

I looked at my phone for the hundredth time, then realising it was Sunday. All the days seemed to have merged together into one, seen as my days have been empty and plain. Sunday. SUNDAY??? the grand prix!! I cant believe I almost forgot it, especially considering I had nothing else to do. Scrambling around the sofa, throwing cushions and blankets everywhere I searched for my remote. Fortunately, by the time I had turned the tv on, it was only the formation lap.

Imola was always an iconic track, one of the most well known tracks in Formula One considering it's very long history with the sport. This was a significant weekend for everybody. But especially for the Ferrari drivers as Italy was their home, and they were racing in front of their home crowd. The pressure for Charles and Carlos was high and I just hoped that they would do themselves and everybody else proud.

My heart began to race faster and faster as each car lined up in their grid slots. Max had qualified on pole, then Checo, then Charles, Lewis, George and Carlos. Pierre qualified 8th which was particularly good considering the lack of upgrades that Alpine had this weekend compared to other teams. My eyes fixated and moved rapidly across the tv screen as all the cars began to huddle into one big group at the start of the race. My eyes darted between Pierre and Charles, who both got away from the line with no issues and remained in their places.

Coming into the third lap, with DRS enabled, Charles managed to overtake Checo, who seemed to not be as up to pace as his teammate, who was already a number of seconds ahead of him. Max was far off in the distant, too far for Charles to be focussing on at this point in the race. His main goal was to keep Sergio behind him and not allow him through. Abruptly, yellow flags were flown in sector one, but no cameras were covering it. The lack of knowledge worried me a little, my mind automatically assuming the worst. That was until the green flag was waved, a feeling of relief flooding through my body, and a replay of Logan Sargeant taking a corner too wide and using the run-off track to spin his light blue Williams back around, before re entering the track.

On lap 17 of the race, Charles dived into the pits following Ferrari's orders to try and get the undercut on Max in an attempt to overtake him. I watched carefully at every tire been taken on and off, doubt looming around my mind. I fiddled with the necklace I was wearing, hesitating to see the outcome of this pit. Sometimes, I'm not too confident in the Ferrari strategy, considering their recent reputation. However, today it payed off in Charles' favour as he was able to overtake Max much later in the race. After a small wobble from Pierre, he dropped down 2 places causing me to debate whether to continue to watch, but seeing the initials LEC in first place made me continue.

I kept whispering to myself 'come on charles' under my breath, wishing this race would end right here, when he was in first. The track ahead of him was clear, expect for a few cars that had been lapped. The end was in sight for the Monegasque driver, and all he had to do was complete 4 more laps. Same for my favourite Frenchman, who at this point was running in 5th behind Hamilton. This race was going incredibly well for them both, I was just hoping that they could maintain this for the few minutes that they had to.

The chequered flag came out and a smile grew across my face to see the scarlet red Ferrari, painted elegantly with the number 16 across, fly by it first. To win is one thing, but for a Ferrari to win in Italy was another. The crowds roared and a red mist from the flares cascaded it's way across the track, ferrari flags were strung out across the vast crowd like bunting. A huge sense of relief rushed through me, I felt as though I could finally relax. My eyes pricked with soft tears that welled in my eyes as I watch him get out of his car, and celebrate his achievement on top of it. In the background, I saw Pierre walk over to Lewis and they both gave each other a side hug and shook hands. Those two had been battling all race, constantly switching positions making the race extremely exciting. Ultimately, it was Pierre that came out on top.