single.

P.G.

I broke up with Rachel.

If you would've told me 2 years ago that I'd be without Rachel, I would've laughed in your face. I thought that Rachel would be the one I'd marry, she came into my life just when I needed her: when I got demoted back to Toro Rosso. We became friends in 2019, I met her at a party after the Monaco Grand Prix. She was there at the perfect time, she was the perfect girl. But apparently not anymore.

All I can feel is an empty freedom. It seems as though i've gained so much, but lost a lot too. Was this the right decision? I look back through my camera roll, photos from this time last year when my smiles were genuine when I was around her. Seeing her wave and cheer for me in the paddock made my heart ache. Photos from our first holiday to Spain together when we would watch film after film while stuffing our faces with popcorn. All of that was now gone. What happened?

My eyes prick at the sight of the photos in front of me, the memories come swirling back to me.

Every laugh
Every cry
Every scream
Every kiss
Every text
Every call
Everyday.

All gone. I scroll to the next photo to see Lando and I at a party, full of joy. That's when I realised that being on my own through this breakup wasn't a good thing. Looking at these photos made me want to be with my friends, the people who actually cared for me. I knew if I was to do this alone, I would be doing exactly what Ke does to herself which never ends well for her. So I decided to ring Lando.

hey lando, are you busy?

no not at all, wassup?

in a few days my friend Kera, from Australia, is coming to Monaco to stay for a while and, i don't know if you know but Rachel and I broke up. I was wondering if you and some of the other guys wanted to hang out and organise something?

oh sorry to hear about that mate. And yeah ofcorse im down for that, let me know when!

After the phone call with Lando, I began brain storming ideas. I wanted to make this trip so enjoyable for everybody: especially Kera. But also, I knew I needed this for myself, I needed to be with the people I really care for and that I have the best time with when i'm with them.

After a few hours of making ideas, changing plans and checking everybody's availability Id finally made a party that everyone could attend and enjoy. It would be weird, I guess, not having Rachel with me. But I looked forward to spending time on my own without the ties of a relationship being locked around my wrists.

Though I knew she was busy, I decided to call Angie up to see if she'd be able to make it. For some reason, she declined and said she was staying with Nathanael. So, I offered her to bring them both and they could come together seen as there would be other couples there like Isa and Carlos, but she still declined. I understand it's a long way to come just for a few days, so I don't think much of it.

I realised that I would have to put a statement out on my social media before it got to any of the press, as it's better to come from me than the rumours that will spread like wildfire. I called my media manager to ask for her advice, seen as if I didn't she'd probably kill me.

@pierregasly

After posting my story, the floods of messages came in, one after another

After posting my story, the floods of messages came in, one after another. Endlessly. I decided to switch off my phone and head out for a walk around the harbour.

653 words- super short chapter im sorry. I've procrastinated this so much because I love the next chapters and wanted to write them and gave up on this. THE NEXT CHAPTERS ARE GOOD TRUST ME.
and i have a week off now so i can write a lot hopefully;)
-J