penultimate 2.

C.L
I'd qualified P2 for the race, so was looking forward to trying to dive into the first corner and attempt to take first from the start, but with Verstappen ahead of me it would be difficult. He's a very dominant driver and uses every part of the road necessary, so getting around the 'Great Wall of Verstappen' would be tricky. Hopefully though, if that doesn't happen we may be able to pass him by doing an undercut- that's if my team don't screw it u; or if I don't before they manage to.

I went back to my drivers room after the debriefing before the race and checked my phone for the last time before I got in the car. I ensure I'm not on my phone at least 45 minutes before the race to stay fully focused on what's ahead of me. I scrolled through Instagram, somehow ending up on Kera's story. She posted a story, counting down until the competition she was doing. I'd completely forgotten she was competing for the nationals level, a sense of guilt hits the bottom of my stomach. I switch off my phone, being unable to allow myself to feel the guilt: I need to focus.

The race begins, and as predicted I remain in second behind Verstappen. Going around turn 1 Alonso goes for a move but can't get past, the move was a risky one and caused him to hit my wheel. Thankfully, there was no damage to my car, and he managed to continue too just losing a few positions. I now had my teammate behind me after he had an amazing start. Carlos was quick, so I needed to be quick to prevent the team from switching our positions.

The race is going well, I'm maintaining 2nd place and I'm  losing Carlos behind me. Around lap 10 cars begin to make their first pit stops, so im expecting to be brung in shortly after.

okay charles, box opposite to verstappen. box opposite to verstappen.

I now had to wait half a lap to see if I would be pitting this lap or not. Coming around the final corner and toward the pit entry, with Max a few seconds ahead of me I see that he continues and does not box, meaning I now had to. I pull into the pit lane, slowing down quickly in order to limit the amount of time lost. The stop was fast, a good time for us with 2.6 seconds. I return to the track in P6, in front of Stroll, who is defending from Gasly.

Throughout the race, I make my way back up into 2nd, with Russell trying to get his Mercedes ahead of me. A few times he gets very close, only driving me to go fast and defend harder. On the penultimate lap, George closes the gap so he would be within DRS range, coming around one of the corners, I know that I must get a good exit if I want to be able to maintain this position until the end. Verstappen was too far ahead to be caught now;that RedBull is in a league of its own.

I pushed too hard, I went beyond the limits of the car, the track.. myself. I found myself hurtling at a very high speed into the barrier, I braced myself, knowing there was nothing I could do to prevent the impact I was about to face. I jolted around in the car, spinning around and being unable to make my surroundings out until I felt the car come to an abrupt stop.

i'm sorry.

are you okay?

I let out a sigh, annoyed with myself

yes i am fine.

This wasn't the first mistake of the season Id made, and especially after last season this just is unacceptable. I cannot allow myself to make these mistakes over and over: it cost me a championship. I climb my way out of the car, allowing the crowd and viewers to know I am okay. More importantly, I wanted Arthur to know I was okay, as I'm sure he would be watching from the garage. I turn back and see my destroyed car being pulled away by a tractor. I stand behind the barrier, watching as the cars slowly make their way past on their cool down lap, Verstappen winning it all.