reflection.

P.G.
Laying on the deck as we drifted from the shore brought back memories of Italy, when all four of us spent some of the best times together. Thinking more and more of it, I realised how much had changed since then, and how I would do anything to go back to that time- just us again. This time, I wouldn't have to worry about Rachel, or about how the rest of the season would go. I'd be able to completely enjoy it and forget everything around me. I craved for time away from everyone, and simply be with the people who I loved the most.

With summer break only 3 races away, I began imagining myself laying on a boat in Italy, with Kera by my side and Angie constantly taking photos of us. Ever since Charles had come on the scene, it seems as though I've been spending less and less time with Kera. I understand that she's in love, but what about me? Do I just get ditched when the next best thing comes along?

I feel myself getting hotter as these thoughts rush in and out of my head, causing me to sit up and look at the tranquil water around us. Trying to discard the thoughts in my head, I went to sit in the shade, in an attempt to cool myself off a little. Replying to messages that I had been meaning to answer, I sit engulfed into my phone to prevent myself from talking to anyone until I am completely ready. Fearful, that I may lash out.

'Pierre?' A voice says from around the corner, causing me to break my concentration and peer up from my phone. Angie is stood, half hidden behind the wall, looking at me with a warming smile on her face. 'I'm making some ice cold drinks.. do you want one?' she offers, almost sensing my mood. Somehow, I knew that she knew I wasn't acting my usual way.

'Oui, merci' I say while giving her a smile back, agreeing that she is right on her thoughts without saying a single word. Ever since we were little kids, Angie always could read the room very well- she knew how everyone was feeling and what they were thinking at any given point. I guess she has a high emotional intelligence. Kera, on the other hand, not so much. Angie seems to think it's because she is reasonably nïave to things like trust.

As teenagers, we would have to keep close eyes on Kera, ensuring she didn't get mixed with the wrong group or trust the wrong people. I guess you could say she always looked for the best in people- often allowing herself to get stuck in the wrong places.

Angie soon came back with a tropically coloured ice-drink in a fancy cocktail glasses with little ice cubes that clinked quietly as they hit one another. From upstairs, I could hear Kera's soft laugh filling the air around us like a lullaby. Occasionally, I'd hear he desperate cries of 'stop' 'it's so cold!' being blurted out between giggles, often followed by Charles' strong laughter. I couldn't help but roll my eyes slightly but I was unsure as to why. I was happy for them, truly. So why did I feel annoyed?

'We haven't come here to sit downstairs in the dark Pierre. Please, let's go join them' Angie softly encourages, as she stands up and begins to walk up to the deck. At that moment, I realised she was right. What was I doing sat on my own, when I have my best friend surrounding me? I felt alone in a place full of people, but really I'm not alone. I made myself feel that way.

Grabbing a water gun on the way up the steps, I prepared myself for battle. Instantly, I swing into action fighting both Kera and Angie simultaneously. Charles, somehow, was no were to be seen. Shrieks and screams escaped the girls' mouths as I sprayed them relentlessly with they icey cool water, refusing to spare them any mercy.

A freezing cold pound of water brutally splatters over my head and drips down by body, leaving me cold and shocked. I turn around after finally opening my eyes and see Charles in a fit of laughter, his head swinging backwards violently. In his hand: a bucket.

'courir Leclerc!!' I tease, as I start to charge towards him before grabbing him into a hold. His legs swing around as he too tries to push me off him, while also trying to tackle me. His laughs continually get louder as the girls in the background are cheering for us each.

The fighting continued for several more minutes, the girls ganging up against Charles and I. Unexpectedly to us, they were more harsh than we thought. The girls aggressively threw their bodies over ours, swinging us around and obliterating us with their water guns. I have a strong feeling that I will be covered in bruises by tomorrow morning.

The sweet sound of soft laughter swiftly turned into the shattering sound of glass, followed by an abundance of gasps. Broken splinters of glass spread across the deck, the faint trail of blood painting across them. In the middle of the glass, Kera slumped against the side of the boat with a large gash on her thigh.

'I'm so sorry Kera. I didn't mean to' Charles repeated desperately while trying to pull her off the floor. Small laughs quickly turned into breaths of pain as the glass had cut open her tanned skin.

'It's okay Charles' she manages to slip out between each deep breath 'im okay'. I watch as the blood runs out of her thigh and down into a pool forming beside her, I take her hand and pull her up, still in shock as to what to say.

'Should we call somebody?' Angie asks worryingly, scared to hear an answer while turning around and grabbing a towel from one of the deckchairs. She passes me the white soft towel and I start to wipe the cut and try to stop the bleeding. Groans of pain escape her mouth as small tears also fall from her eyes, hiding behind her sunglasses.

Splatters of blood form on the once pearl white towel as the blood seeps through, more and more heavily. The boat, now heading back to the harbour, swayed up and down over each wave it encountered. Eventually, making our way to the deck, I scooped up Kera in my arms, holding her closely. Putting pressure on the bleed with a towel, I felt as the towel became soaked with the blood. Her arms wrapped around my neck as she buried herself into my shoulders and chest.

Hastily, the three of us began running off the boat, attempting to get to the car. My heart began to ache, holding my best friend in my arms as she cried in agonising pain. But, I would be lying if a slight sense of warmth filled me heart as I realised that she was holding onto me. Every doubt I felt of no longer being a priority in her life had left me and a small smile escaped my mouth as I ran.

I thought she'd never leave me. But now, I know that she wouldn't.

1226 words (filler chapter)
SORRY FOR NOT POSTING IVE BEEN ON HOLIDAYYUUU

this chapter is my way of expressing feelings i often feel about myself and my friends, but ultimately everytime i realise it's in my head and it's not real. so if you are the same, just know you are never alone and that i am here to listen- just send me a priv message :)
-J