monaco.

K.J.H
After an extremely long flight, Charles and I both arrived in Monaco. Charles stayed in Australia for just over 4 days before we both were ready to go to Monaco, so flying back together was the obvious option. He was so excited for me to come and see the place he has grown up in, and lived in since he was a small child. Flying over the country was beautiful, everything seemed almost coated in gold due to the suns idyllic rays.

Pierre met us at the airport and the second I saw him I ran to him, dropping all my stuff on the floor and threw myself into his arms, he gently spun me around just as he had done in Bahrain. He drove us back, dropping Charles off at his apartment and then we headed to Pierre's house, where I would be staying for the next few days. I'd stayed at his apartment before, during various long summers but I never took the opportunity to explore and see Monaco properly.

I sat in his kitchen, looking out the window that overlooked the beautiful city of Monte Carlo, frequently seeing expensive sports cars making their way around so causally- something that seemed very strange to me. Pierre walks over and hands me a glass of iced lemonade, fulfilling a tradition that we made when we were very little. After a while, Pierre tells me about his breakup with Rachel. He, however, doesn't seem overly upset or affected and just kind of moves on with the conversation. He said it was the best for both of them. Though it may seem bad of me to think this, I was glad that they broke up. Rachel just wasn't the right person that he needed around her. She, in my opinion, was very self absorbed and almost shielded herself from any of his achievements.

Pierre moved on with the conversation, and told me about the plans he had made for following days, with a smile on his face. I couldn't resist taking him up on his offer due to the pure delight he had beaming across his face. He had apparently made plans for a few of the other drivers and their girlfriends to spend the day on his yacht sailing in the sea, and then swinging back to his house for a mini party. He reassured me that everybody will be fine and that it would not be awkward, considering i'd never met half of these people before.

——————

The next morning we set off early to Pierre's yacht in order to set up. The blue sea is as clear as a mirror as the sun's stripy rays reflect off it. The sky too, was a pale shade of baby blue with no clouds covering its stillness. The sun was creating a very hot atmosphere and caused the deck to soon heat up beneath our feet. I placed different snacks inside the boat, as well as lined up some deck chairs that we could sunbathe on, meanwhile Pierre was trying extremely hard to blow up a unicorn float that he promised was Lando's. He was failing miserably in the one sided fight as it continued to deflate.

Shortly after, people began to arrive. Firstly, Carlos, Isa and Lando joined and brought various snacks with them. Carlos was coated in sun cream that you could smell form a mile away, and Lando was wearing his fancy sunglasses to protect his freckled face from the sun. Danny Ric soon made everybody aware of his presence by entering with a speaker on his shoulder connected to his phone, he sure knows how to make an entrance. It was extremely weird seeing the people i've watched race in such serious conditions be so chill and calm, enjoying themselves immensely as they all began to disperse into different groups and talk to one another. I however, stuck to Pierre's side as I didn't know anybody here. That was until a certain Monegasque arrived.

'bonjour' the comforting voice says, as a form arm wraps its way around my shoulder. A small smile forms across my face at the movement, but I continue to stand by Pierre's side. As everybody else arrives, Charles, Pierre and I all walk over to the top deck where everybody is stood.

I stay almost pinned to Charles and Pierre's side, still anxious at the amount of people i don't know that I'm surrounded by. But not long after, the sun begins to get a little unbearable. The boat sails for a short while, allowing a cool breeze to flow through the air. I feel my long blonde hair bounce in the wind as the boat sways in the waves. The boat comes to a stop, in the middle of the sea allowing us to once again feel the humid air on our skin. All of the girls begin to take off their shorts and swim suit coverups and begin to lay on the sun beds, Pierre gives me a look as to say 'go and join them' so hesitantly I did.